“Great Beer Selection! Yummy burger, salads and appetizers!”

Thirsty Moose Taphouse
Ranked #23 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Great bar but still ok to go there with family. Pretty good variety on menu. My husband had a burger with a fried egg on it - said it was the most amazing burger ever! Wedge sales was yummy! Kids all happy with their meals...that is always a good thing. Wings and beer for everyone's taste!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stopped in here both nights we were in Portsmouth. They have music downstairs at night and watched the Patriots during the day on Sunday. The service was good. It was a little choppy because they had a runner for beers and a runner for food, so you really never had your waitress serve you, at least when we were there. The food was good, pub style. The wings were really good, as they smoke them before grilling/frying them. Stop by for a good time, well worth it

1  Thank NorwoodDave
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Gross appetizer, horrible sandwich, poor service! So many other great choices in Portsmouth we could have gone to for Saturday night out! Totally regret trying it!

3  Thank Caroline W
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This place is a delight for the craft-brew enthusiast! The biggest problem? Choosing a brew! With over 100 (um, I think) beers on tap, it can be a bit daunting. So far, my husband and I have found the servers fairly knowledgeable, and if they don't know, they find out. The food is actually better than what I would expect for an ale-house. I gave 4 and not 5 only because they are fairly new and still coming into their own with the food, menu, etc.

A side note for parents. This isn't really a good night spot for the kiddoes, but a weekend lunch is just fine. The kid's menu is good (standard fair with cute names -- my 8 year old son orders the moose noodles -- kraft mac n cheese). They have crayons, and make the kids feel welcome. Its a little dark and a bit noisy with several TVs blaring sports so if Jr has a bit of a fit, no one will notice or care!

If you even like beer a little bit, give it a try.

1  Thank AmandaDell
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Wow. My husband and I are obsessed with trying every craft beer we can get our hands on. If you feel the same way, this is the place for you! One of my favorite beers is Allagash Curieux, a bourbon barrel aged triple, which is normally $22+ to buy a bottle at a bar. Imagine my excitement when I discovered that they have it on draught! We were overwhelmed with not only the variety, but GOOD variety of brews. We ended up getting a 1/2 rack sampler, and were able to try 6 beers that we've been meaning to try for months, without committing to purchasing a full, sometimes very expensive, bottle. There's not even an upcharge for higher end brews, which many places tend to tack on. The place was PACKED when we walked in, but luckily the place is huge. It was irritating when we initially arrived and tried to sit a one of the many empty 2-tops but were told we had to put our names down (really? They are empty....and in a bar. Typically a non dining room bar area is first come, first serve, but whatever.) We kept walking and managed to find two seats at the bar. The service was fantastic. Our bartender was not only super friendly, but very knowledgeable and prompt. I really wish we had a place like this in our town!