“Great family fun”
Review of Water Country

Water Country
Ranked #13 of 66 things to do in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: No one packs more fun into a water park than Water Country! We’ve got over 26 acres of your kind of fun for the whole family. Then again, we are New England's Largest, Cleanest, Safest, and Friendliest Waterpark! With cabanas and picnic areas, Water Country is the perfect place for your next birthday, party, family reunion, or group outing. Attractions like the all new Dr. Von Dark’s Tunnel Of Terror, Adventure River, and the Tahiti Tree House for children, ensure everyone has a good time at Water Country!
Ellsworth, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great family fun”
Reviewed August 22, 2009

We went with 2 young children and had a great time. They are not clear before you go in which rides are not for those under 48" and they are very strict about enforcing this - 1 of ours was 47" and was not allowed to slide on several of them. I would suggest going early if you want a good spot or a seat, however we got a nice picnic table in the shade and we spent very little time there anyway. There were plenty of picnic tables available. There are also plenty of life vests available if needed. The wave pool is fun but a little crowded further out. The longest wait was for the Dragon's Den so do that early, otherwise waiting times not bad. We did go during the week - there would probably be longer waits on a weekend. They do allow cooler's so we took our own food and drinks. There are also plenty of lockers available for valuables - $8 each but worth it so you don't have to worry about losing anything. Plenty of free parking. We had a great visit and the kids can't wait to go again.

3 Thank helsbels54

boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good fun for the money”
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Considering what other attractions cost this one is worth it....if you get there early and rent a cabana. Spend the $75 on the private cabana and feel comfortable especially if your the parent. The lines get longer as the day goes on. Over the last 20 years the park has improoved considerably. Water was clean to the eye and ride waits were with in reason for this type of attraction. Staff was kind and helpfull. They also allow coolers!

2 Thank linuxfueled
Reading, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Water Country's Wave Pool is VERY dangerous”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I went to Water Country yesterday during a HOT, weekday and it was horrific. The lines were long to wait for the rides....The toilet was overflowing and there was water all over the floors in the bathroom and smelly....One of the pool's was full of bugs and cloudy water. Most of all, the Wave Pool almost took my daughter and her friend's life!! They don't require you to wear life jackets nor tubes in the water... The amount of people there in one pool was unbelievably a hazard for swimming....When the waves came on, I had to rescue my daughter and her friend because the waves keep on coming and the other people's tubes bump into you...

If you dare to visit Water Country which I don't recommend, PLEASE make sure your kids and you have a tube in the Wave Pool, preferrably a tube and life jacket if your child is a weak swimmer or young......

12 Thank drgwish3
Boston, Massachusetts
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 594 helpful votes
“Weekend crowds and beach traffic make this place tough to visit!”
Reviewed February 3, 2008

I made the very big mistake of trying to visit this sole water park in the month of August on a weekend. Driving from Massachusetts to this spot took me 2 and half hours not because of distance but becuase the traffic going to the beaches and at the tols was backed up for miles When we finally arrived, we were bombarded with wall to wall people, some very scary, and filling this place making it from a very large place to a very small place. The amount of people crammed into this park was horrible. I could not believe they could all fit. Plus the fact that there was no more lockers, longer than ever wait times for the slides and just an all around tough time. We maybe got on 5 slides in a 5 hour period of time. Plus where these people came from is beyond me. Looked like some were spending thre only pay checks to go here to this high priced park. The place was also pretty filthy, with standing dirty water everywhere and trash. I would say if you were going to go here, go on a week day and bring flip flops. It is advisable since who knows what you are stepping in. This is not worth the crwods though! I would say skip it!

7 Thank lip89
Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“FUN, FUN, FUN!”
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Water Country is one of my favorite water parks! It's a large park with numerous slides. Although you may have to wait in a long line on the newest ride, I've never had to wait too long for anything else. I recommend arriving at the park as soon as it opens and heading to the newer slides first in order to avoid the lines. There's a great variety in slides, and all ages should be able to find lots to do. The park is clean, and you're allowed to bring in your own food if you don't want to buy food. I advise wearing water shoes, because the pavement in the park is hot for bare feet.

I try to go to Water Country every year! It is so much fun, and I highly recommend it!

8 Thank SpunkyHungry