“Ask for a wine price list before you ask for a glass of wine”
Review of Oar House

Oar House
Ranked #3 of 10 Nightlife in Portsmouth
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ask for a wine price list before you ask for a glass of wine”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Went to Portsmouth on a sunny afternoon with my wife. While we were waiting to take the harbor cruise we decided to go next door to the OarHouse water deck bar for a glass of wine. I ordered the house merlot and had two glasses. My wife had a diet coke and one glass of wine. How much could it be?

When I got the bill it was $37. I was surprised at the total and I asked the waitress about the bill and she said that the wine price was $10.50 a glass. I asked what the name of the wine was and she could not tell me the name. I told her that the glass of wine was overpriced for a house wine.

Not being a wine expert I would not know a top wine from a low cost wine but that seemed extremely overpriced for a house wine. I felt taken advantage of. In the future I will ask for a wine menu before I order. Who would have thought the house wine would be so expensive.

Left a bad taste in my mouth and will never go there again. A word of caution buyer beware at the OarHouse.

1 Thank MaleManBoston

Leominster, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Very Unhappy!”
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Went to dinner after doing a lovely cruise to the Isle of Shoals on Oct. 4th and we expecting a great dinner because we had been to the Oar House before.
Much to our disappointment our potatos were luke warm and served from an ice cream scoop...
My scallops were over cooked which of course made them chewy.
Needless to say we will not be returning to the Oar House in the future to eat.
What upsets me the most is that there are so very many great places to eat in Portsmouths and we choose the Oar House that day....now I wish we had gone some place else!!

Mackinac Island, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“5 star wedding rehearsal dinner”
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We are parents of the groom and the Oar House was one of a few restaurants recommended by the wedding planner (wedding at Seacoast Science Ctr the next day). We are not from the area and when we went to visit (after having seen 3 other venues in the area) the setting on the water and a private dining room on the second floor was just what we were looking for with a party of about 35 people. On the day we visited, the staff was most accommodating about helping us picture what the event would look like. As we got closer to the event, Juliet (the function manager) was most gracious with her time in person and through emails to answer our questions and help us create the menu.

But it doesn't mean a thing if there are problems. I am writing this review because the evening was all we could hope for. We took a chance on a "cheese board" instead of appetizers on the menu and it was an outstanding huge platter of a variety of cheeses, crudites, etc. The Oar House prints your own "menu" for your guests to choose from and allows a wide choice range. Our servers (Dawn and Paul) were attentive and the courses were served in a timely and efficient manner without being rushed. The music from the piano bar downstairs was a lovely background and not obtrusive. The food was delicious! The Oar House set the upbeat tone for the festivities to come and, because of some less than positive reviews on this site, I wanted families who are considering the Oar House for a special occasion to know about our more than positive experience.

2 Thank CCCHome
fl
“Don't waste your time or money!”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Very rude Bar and Waitstaff,my Wife and i wasted our time driving there.Food was less than mediocre.Front of the house needs training as well as the Chefs.What a shame!

littleton, NH
“indifference by the sea”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Food quite good; waitstaff indifferent at best. To top it off, when presented with the bill, I had to ask for something to clean my hands which were covered in lobster and butter. At which point the waitress sauntered off and returned about 10 minutes later with a mug of hot water and a lemon wedge. I would think that running up a check of $130 for two would deserve a bit of attentiveness. Instead the waitstaff gathered at a table on the far side of the room and chatted with each other, reluctantly arising when called.