“B-52s”
Review of The Music Hall

The Music Hall
Ranked #11 of 71 things to do in Portsmouth
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was a awesome concert in this wonderful venue so close to home. They are doing a great job getting top notch acts both current and retro.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I purchased tickets as a Christmas Present for my boyfriend and I to see Juston McKinney. When purchasing tickets on line, which I did weeks ago, you get to choose exactly where you would like to sit. Please remember this! I carefully chose our seats, for several reasons. We arrived, and were ushered to OUR seats. About 15 minutes into the opening act, we heard an usher at the opposite end of the row "TELLING", not asking, everyone to move down one seat. Because they needed two seats. There was an empty seat to my left. For at least 5 minutes it was non-stop. We were trying to ignore what was going on at the opposite FAR end of the row, because we honestly did not think they were talking to us, considering we were at the opposite end of the row of seats. The ushers were so loud that we could not hear the opening act. Then they started shining a flashlight into our eyes, as well as the eyes of the last two people in the seats to our left. All 4 of us were getting rather upset at this point. Suddenly an usher came to me TOLD me that we HAVE to move. I showed her the tickets, and she said, well that is strange you are in the correct seats. She walked off. Then the commotion started up again at the far right of the row again. It was getting extremely louder and more rude with every comment. All of a sudden I see two male ushers to my left and they are INSISTING we move from the seats we paid for. I was not in the least impressed with any of the staff over this whole incident. It would appear that someone purchased tickets late, and could not sit together in the same row. I have no problem being asked to move so someone can sit together. As a matter of fact, had we known what was going on from the start we would have offered to move. However, the manner in which several staff members acted, disturbing many people trying to watch the show was simply not acceptable. Insinuating that we were in the wrong seats, when our tickets were clearly marked with the seat numbers we were sitting in, was obnoxious. We talked about attending two other comedy shows that are coming in 2014, however, I must admit there is a very good chance that we will not go back.

1  Thank dasil22
Monte B, Manager at The Music Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

I am very sorry that your experience at The Music Hall was not up to our usual customer service standards. We strive to provide an exceptional experience for all of our patrons both on and off the stage. Please be assured that we will address this issue with the volunteer ushers and house staff. I hope to see you in the future at an event, where I'm sure that we can make it up to you.

Cheers,

Monte Bohanan

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We attended the Music Hall's annual holiday concert. Enjoyed the show and music. It placed us in the Christmas spirit for sure. We always make a plan to attend many of the concerts and enjoyed the theaters refurbished look.

1  Thank RJB1215
Reviewed December 8, 2013

They have done an amazing job restoring this place. Very cool lobby and restrooms. No. I'm not kidding. Worth filling up on ice tea just to use them.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is a very special historic theatre. The current owner and managers have kept it up and added special touches (you MUST see the bathroom). We saw a movie there. The seating was perfect, the sound was great and it's nice to be in such a cool space for a move. I hope you get to attend something at the Music Hall. It's in the heart of the restaurant/shopping area.

1  Thank WugMother