“Great location”
Review of Ale House Inn

Ale House Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed one night here at the end of a two week trip. We couldn't fault the downtown location, and also the detailed instructions to reaching the designated hotel parking!
We booked a "cosy queen", so we knew the room would be small. It was indeed, but there was plenty of storage space. The bed was very comfortable and the room was well kitted out (large TV, ipad etc).

The inn itself is located above a theatre, and it was slightly strange to enter and walk through a mezzanine level, which overlooks the entrance hall of the theatre, and then take the elevator to the inn,which only occupies a floor of the building. (this is not criticism, just something I've not experienced before!!)

There is no restaurant on-site, and no breakfast (but fresh fruit and snacks in the lobby area) - in a town like portsmouth, this isn't an issue, and there are lots of places to eat nearby! The receptionist was very friendly, and able to give directions and recommendations of where to eat.

Since we stayed, the Inn has been acquired by Lark Hotels. This wouldn't necessarily put us off staying in the future, but the original owners plan to open a new boutique hotel in Portsmouth, which I would be interested in checking out, as I feel they put a lot of thought into the Alehouse Inn.

1  Thank LouLouLouLouLouLou
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at Ale House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for your review and your thoughts on your stay. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and that our new, detailed directions on parking were helpful! Lark Hotels is a small service and design oriented company with local managers at all properties. In fact, Kelsey, the former assistant manager, is now the manager and the person who helped you with your needs. We greatly admire the work Doug and Dan did to create a great atmosphere at Ale House Inn and our intention is only to enhance it. As a Lark Hotel now, guests at Ale House Inn are able to sign up for our "On a Lark Club" loyalty program. We hope to see you back at Ale House Inn or one of our other New England properties. All the best!

There are newer reviews for Ale House Inn

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Yes, the rooms are small...But we knew this would be the case before we arrived. I felt that there was more than enough space for a two night stay, and was very impressed at the cleanliness of the Inn. I also appreciated the convenience of having an Ipad in the room with restaurant suggestions listed by category.

This is definitely one of those places that I would feel comfortable returning to again and again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NedaJones
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I booked the Ale House for a weekend getaway with my hubby several months ago and was looking forward to staying here. We come to Portsmouth at least once a year for a weekend and this was the year of the Ale House. I was surprised by the room size when we checked in. We had room 2 which is a cozy queen, for the 2 night stay it was $457. This room is also right across from the reception desk and I think might be the noisiest with people checking in and out we heard most every conversation I just hope they didn't hear us! Yes each room comes with a docking station and an ipad I have those items at home I would have liked a little larger room. The bathroom was so small it was only a 1 person set up, meaning literally only 1 person could fit inside the bathroom at a time. This is a very modern inn/B&B with no old style charm. I thought I would like this type of getaway but I really missed the creaky floors, the great home cooked breakfast and a view from a traditional inn. The upside for us was the price of the room comes with complimentary tickets to the Seacoast Repertory Theatre which we went to see the Odd Couple was playing, great evening. We weren't in the room all that much but it would have been nice to have more room as we really think this was the smallest room we have ever stayed in. We have been married 27 years and go to a B&B/inn at least 3 times a year.

Room Tip: Room 2 is noisy with the reception desk just feet from your door.
4  Thank ThatsAGiven
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here for just one night in September. We choose this place largely for the location, as we only had the one night we didn't want to be messing about driving in and out of town. So on the location front this place is great and we found it easily. Everything is walking distance from here so no need to touch the car again once you arrive.

Our room was very nicely decorated and clean with modern and taseful furnishing. There was a large TV, but no DVD player or DVD library (which we would have liked). We liked the free beer on arrival and the room touches such as the ipads. However, for us, even the ipads didn't justify the price they charge for rooms here. Perhaps if their was a breakfast included (of exceptional quality) they might be getting nearer, but as it was we came away feeling overcharged.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TanyaBLondon
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed in late October during the NH film festival right next door. It gave a lively feel coming in and out of the Ale House but didn't have a negative impact on the tranquility of our sleek, modern room. Lots of small touches - iPads, ipod docs, complimentary beer and snacks, as well as free bikes on load made it a pleasant stay. Beds are incredibly cozy, but may be soft for those used to an extra firm mattress.

1  Thank HoneymoonBC2010
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Modern decor, including a Keurig and in room iPad. The staff has done a great job of catering to the guests. A complimentary local beer upon check in, the iPad already has groupings for breakfast, lunch, and dinner locals, and nice flat screen tv. My husband was especially impressed by the toothbrush holder in the bathroom. In most hotels don't you just have to use a glass? I liked the dark "makeup" washcloth, so the white ones didn't get stained. Our queen room did not have a view, but that would be hard to come by in this town. There are 12 outside steps to climb up with your luggage but the staff is very good at preparing you for this so it is not a surprise. The only downside I would say is the 5:00 check in. There was some pressure to get here by 5, before the staff went home. There is some sort of late check in procedure but not knowing the area, I wanted to make sure I would have a live person to talk to when I arrived.
I did appreciate the welcome email which had very detailed driving directions to the hotel. For us, everything worth doing was within walking distance. We would recommend this hotel for a trip to Portsmouth.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PattiS108
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed at the Ale House for 4 nights at the end of September - my total bill, including room tax, was just over $1000. That's a fairly steep price, so maybe I expected too much. I am surprised not to notice much mention in other reviews of the fact that each room is supplied with an Ipad. I enjoyed this, as I do not have one. The Ipad had highlighted everything there is to see and do in Portsmouth, plus I could check email, restaurant menus, etc., which was very nice.

The rooms are small, but this much was clear to me before I arrived. It is not a good choice for individuals with physical limitations, due to the stairs outside. It was very quiet, I slept well there, and it was very clean.

Another big plus at the Ale House Inn is that parking is included in the price. Parking can be an issue in Portsmouth, so that was great. However, the parking lot is attached to a church, so I did have to move my car to a meter for a few hours one day to allow for some other function.

The Ale House is nicely done; quite charming, really. The staff that I dealt with were pleasant and helpful. I was a bit offended when asked if I'd been smoking in my room, and when I asked why, it turned out that apparently the receptionist smelled marijuana near my room! Maybe I should have been MORE offended! I like to get away on my own now and then, so perhaps that made me seem an "oddity."

I have been enjoying Portsmouth and environs for many years, but it is getting to be far more "chi-chi" than it once was. It's a shame, but probably unavoidable. The Ale House Inn is in a great location for walking to a plethora of shops and restaurants and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank KristinIthaca_NY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#1 of 17 in Portsmouth
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Ale House Inn? Share your experiences!