“Quaint but Mondern...and Clean”
Review of Ale House Inn

Ale House Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Quaint but Mondern...and Clean”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Yes, the rooms are small...But we knew this would be the case before we arrived. I felt that there was more than enough space for a two night stay, and was very impressed at the cleanliness of the Inn. I also appreciated the convenience of having an Ipad in the room with restaurant suggestions listed by category.

This is definitely one of those places that I would feel comfortable returning to again and again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NedaJones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Salem, NH
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I booked the Ale House for a weekend getaway with my hubby several months ago and was looking forward to staying here. We come to Portsmouth at least once a year for a weekend and this was the year of the Ale House. I was surprised by the room size when we checked in. We had room 2 which is a cozy queen, for the 2 night stay it was $457. This room is also right across from the reception desk and I think might be the noisiest with people checking in and out we heard most every conversation I just hope they didn't hear us! Yes each room comes with a docking station and an ipad I have those items at home I would have liked a little larger room. The bathroom was so small it was only a 1 person set up, meaning literally only 1 person could fit inside the bathroom at a time. This is a very modern inn/B&B with no old style charm. I thought I would like this type of getaway but I really missed the creaky floors, the great home cooked breakfast and a view from a traditional inn. The upside for us was the price of the room comes with complimentary tickets to the Seacoast Repertory Theatre which we went to see the Odd Couple was playing, great evening. We weren't in the room all that much but it would have been nice to have more room as we really think this was the smallest room we have ever stayed in. We have been married 27 years and go to a B&B/inn at least 3 times a year.

Room Tip: Room 2 is noisy with the reception desk just feet from your door.
4 Thank ThatsAGiven
London
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here for just one night in September. We choose this place largely for the location, as we only had the one night we didn't want to be messing about driving in and out of town. So on the location front this place is great and we found it easily. Everything is walking distance from here so no need to touch the car again once you arrive.

Our room was very nicely decorated and clean with modern and taseful furnishing. There was a large TV, but no DVD player or DVD library (which we would have liked). We liked the free beer on arrival and the room touches such as the ipads. However, for us, even the ipads didn't justify the price they charge for rooms here. Perhaps if their was a breakfast included (of exceptional quality) they might be getting nearer, but as it was we came away feeling overcharged.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TanyaBLondon
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed in late October during the NH film festival right next door. It gave a lively feel coming in and out of the Ale House but didn't have a negative impact on the tranquility of our sleek, modern room. Lots of small touches - iPads, ipod docs, complimentary beer and snacks, as well as free bikes on load made it a pleasant stay. Beds are incredibly cozy, but may be soft for those used to an extra firm mattress.

1 Thank HoneymoonBC2010
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Modern decor, including a Keurig and in room iPad. The staff has done a great job of catering to the guests. A complimentary local beer upon check in, the iPad already has groupings for breakfast, lunch, and dinner locals, and nice flat screen tv. My husband was especially impressed by the toothbrush holder in the bathroom. In most hotels don't you just have to use a glass? I liked the dark "makeup" washcloth, so the white ones didn't get stained. Our queen room did not have a view, but that would be hard to come by in this town. There are 12 outside steps to climb up with your luggage but the staff is very good at preparing you for this so it is not a surprise. The only downside I would say is the 5:00 check in. There was some pressure to get here by 5, before the staff went home. There is some sort of late check in procedure but not knowing the area, I wanted to make sure I would have a live person to talk to when I arrived.
I did appreciate the welcome email which had very detailed driving directions to the hotel. For us, everything worth doing was within walking distance. We would recommend this hotel for a trip to Portsmouth.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PattiS108
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed at the Ale House for 4 nights at the end of September - my total bill, including room tax, was just over $1000. That's a fairly steep price, so maybe I expected too much. I am surprised not to notice much mention in other reviews of the fact that each room is supplied with an Ipad. I enjoyed this, as I do not have one. The Ipad had highlighted everything there is to see and do in Portsmouth, plus I could check email, restaurant menus, etc., which was very nice.

The rooms are small, but this much was clear to me before I arrived. It is not a good choice for individuals with physical limitations, due to the stairs outside. It was very quiet, I slept well there, and it was very clean.

Another big plus at the Ale House Inn is that parking is included in the price. Parking can be an issue in Portsmouth, so that was great. However, the parking lot is attached to a church, so I did have to move my car to a meter for a few hours one day to allow for some other function.

The Ale House is nicely done; quite charming, really. The staff that I dealt with were pleasant and helpful. I was a bit offended when asked if I'd been smoking in my room, and when I asked why, it turned out that apparently the receptionist smelled marijuana near my room! Maybe I should have been MORE offended! I like to get away on my own now and then, so perhaps that made me seem an "oddity."

I have been enjoying Portsmouth and environs for many years, but it is getting to be far more "chi-chi" than it once was. It's a shame, but probably unavoidable. The Ale House Inn is in a great location for walking to a plethora of shops and restaurants and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KristinIthaca_NY
massachusetts
Reviewed October 14, 2013

After a recent stay, I agree with the past reviews regarding the room prices, ($200 plus), for the size. My wife and I upgraded to the larger room at the request of the owner. Upon opening the door, the room was much smaller than it looked on their web site. The complimentary beer, water, and free parking were all a plus.
In my opinion, your paying for the location, and being within walking distance to all the bars, restaurants, and shopping. We booked for just the one night while passing through over the weekend traveling further north. We would definitely stay at the Ale House again, but would also inquire at B & B's in the area for a stay based on The Ale House Inn's prices.

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the second floor, and are peaceful all night long. There is no road or people n...
1 Thank Scooter105
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#1 of 17 in Portsmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Ale House Inn? Share your experiences!