Ale House Inn
  • Breakfast included
The Hotel Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
Courtyard Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
View Hotel
All reviewscomplimentary beerchurch parking lotpetite queenexposed brickrooms are smallkeurig coffee makerperfect locationwithin walking distanceboutique hotelbottled watercommon roomdowntown portsmouthnew englandcomfortable bedlarge tvchain hotelsanniversary weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The only reason the room received a 4 star rating was because the rooms are not large. Bit they are certainly adequate in size . Everything else was perfect. My husband and I enjoyed out stay very much . It is much nicer than staying at a chain. The rooms were very clean, very well appointed and very comfortable. We loved the history of the building and we will stay there again when traveling to Portsmouth. Same sex and opposite sex couples would be very comfortable at the inn.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Peteach29
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We received a gift certificate from our adult children for Christmas. Our daughter had stayed here before and enjoyed it and thought we would as well. What a wonderful surprise! Though it has only a small number of rooms,the rooms were good size considering it was a "city" hotel. Wonderfully decorated and love the extra touches that I have not seen in any other hotel;IE an IPAD programed with restaurants/menus, Things to do in the city, nightlife, newspapers/magazines, games, just to name a few. The bedding and linens were perfect. There was even a special "make-up" facecloth. We were offered two beers from a local brewery plus complementary ticket may be available for the local theater ( in the same building) . There was a basket of fruit and snack in the community sitting area. Plus did I say....free parking in a perfect downtown location!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MBK55
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I give the Ale House an excellent, because it is what it says it is. Spotlessly clean, nice amenities and right in the town!! The room was small, but fine for me and my wife. Nice touches- comfortable bed, nice linens, nice flat screen, Kurig with coffee, tea, etc, bottled water, quality shampoo and soap. One block to restaurants and shopping. The host I think- Doug, the one everyone talks about was very nice and gave good recommendations. When we arrived on Sunday another guy was there and frankly he was a little abrupt and seemed preoccupied, not that it affected my stay, but not what I was expecting. the ipad with local info is nice, they also have a 'handbook' in room. A couple of complimentary beers upon arrival is nice.

So no views of water or anything like that, but I really want clean and it was. Also the quality is clearly there. We enjoyed relaxing in the room and walking around town and dinning. A neat place!! Also took a ride into main (take 1a along the coast, nice ride). I got a preseason rate, so I thought it was very reasonable... around 119 per night.

Just a warning ( and they tell you this)... 12 steep stairs to get into building, then elevator.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tonytnj
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was our second stay at the Ale House. I love the service. I love how small the Inn is. I love the amenities in the room (an IPad that is loaded with restaurant and attraction info about Portsmouth, great toiletries, beer in the fridge, laundry service.) I love the location. And I love the IDEA of the Ale House Inn. In practice, however, neither time we've stayed have I walked away feeling entirely happy with our visit. Here's why. Both times we've been we've had terrible night's sleep. The walls are thin, which mean you can hear your neighbors in the hallway or next door. And the bed feels amazing when you first get in, but throughout the night it swallows you such that it is really hard to get comfortable. If you get hot while you sleep, this bed would drive you nuts. Because the inn is so charming (great decor, super vibes, bikes you can borrow...) I could almost give this hotel four stars. But given the price (even in the off season), I don't walk away feeling like the value for my money is here. Thus, three stars.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kates2cents
Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a gem! We booked the Ale House Inn on-line, sight unseen, for a birthday weekend away. Upon entering our room ,we looked around and both said a collective "Wow". There was such attention to detail; from the plush bed linens to the Keurig coffeemaker, to the Ipad, to the classy bathroom with large, soft towels. We immediately wished that we were staying a few more nights! Our host Scott, was very friendly and accomodating to our requests. He made reservations for us for the theatre next door (great show) and for dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant in town. I told him it was for a birthday, and he was able to secure a wonderful table for us right in front by the window! Portsmouth was a fun town to walk around and visit the shops and restaurants. Scott also recommended a little local eatery for breakfast that was within walking distance and well worth it. (wish I could remember the name !) Does it sound like we had fun.....it was great! The host was great - accomodations were great - and the town was great. We can't wait to try it in warmer weather.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple