“Attention to Detail in Every Room”
Review of Ale House Inn

Ale House Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Yorba Linda, California
“Attention to Detail in Every Room”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband and I recently traveled to Portsmouth and were delighted with our accomodations at the Ale House. In addition to comfortable beds and pillows, every room contains a 32" flat screen TV, Keurig coffeemaker, and Ipad with info. on restaurants, activities, night life, and so forth in Portsmouth. Additionally, we were offered our choice of a locally produced bottle of beer upon our arrival. We had a great experience and would highly recommend The Ale House.

2 Thank Shanley B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We love Portsmouth, go often, and have stayed in many comfortable places in the past. The Ale House trumps them all. First and foremost for us, the beds really are beyond comfortable, the lush feather toppers are fabulous. But the whole experience was just what we hoped for. The Inn greets you with great style and great ambiance. Its look is very modern with clean lines, no clutter, room ipads, but the ambiance is warm and user-friendly with perfect snacks, bikes, great tips, (loved! Colby's for breakfast) thanks, Scott!
Most of all, Portsmouth is best enjoyed on foot, and no matter where you go downtown, shopping, restaurants, cruises, you can come back to the Inn to drop off purchases, change your clothes, or just use the bathroom without even going out of your way. What a luxury! Some anniversary we'll splurge and book that amazing King Suite with the phenomenal views....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Francine S
North Reading, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 9, 2012

It is hard to explain Ale House Inn. All I can say is that I will be going back there again soon. I really liked it. Scott was so helpful. I took all his suggestions very seriously for places to eat and he knows his food!!! It is clean and comfortable. Customer comes first at Ale House Inn and they make sure that you do not leave unhappy. A wonderful place to consider on your next trip to Portsmouth, NH.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great communication from booking to check in. The location of the Ale House Inn is a dream in the beautiful small town of Portsmouth. You can walk everywhere easily and there are lots of interesting shops, in a beautifully maintained New England environment. Great restaurants, cafes and bars are plentiful...... But when you are weary and need to head back, the Ale House Inn ticks all of the boxes. Beautiful rooms, with everything thought of, tea and coffee making facilities, Aveda toiletries, a fridge and water supplied. An in room I-pad preloaded with local tour ideas, bars and restaurant links was a great help! In addition a comfy lounge with snacks and fresh fruit, a PC if you needed it and bikes available to borrow just show that this is no ordinary Inn. Truly a place to try if in Portsmouth, you won't be disappointed in fact you'll be very glad that you did!!

2 Thank Blondehairrocks
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Ale House Inn staff was laid back (my partner and I accepted bottles of Smuttynose upon checking in); thoughtful (they offered toothbrushes and toothpaste when we realized we had left ours home); gracious (they suggested places to eat and drink, all within a brilliantly short walk of the Inn).

The Inn's website photos of the beautiful, relaxed lobby were accurate.  We helped ourselves to snacks (apples, bananas, crackers) and water during our comings and goings.

Our room was small, cozy, exceptionally well-appointed, and the opposite of fussy.  The towels were plush.  The bath products, all AVEDA. Hooray. Seriously.

As a born-and-raised New Englander who hasn't lived there in twenty years, I have an irrational mix of strong opinions about what a trip home should include in the fall (local beer, movies, good food, walks on the beach).  I've even stronger feelings about homebase requirements for any digs that aren't my mum's house: immaculate, downtown, deliberate in design, easy.  The Ale House Inn delivered on all counts.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank 012345km
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I crashed here to check out downtown Portsmouth. Doug was great, giving us some tips. The check in was super easy. Room was ready. Yes the room is on the small side but I was there to sleep and relax. Room was clean. The only thing which is nitpicking was the bath was small and there was hair on the wall from people blow drying their hair. the bath had updated fixtures and was very modern. Cool to have the ipad. I had the fridge stocked with beer, which was nice and cold. Overall I was very pleased.

• Stayed September 2012
Ellwood City, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stumbled across the Ale House Inn quite by accident while on our motorcycle tour of New England. We always like to stay "in town" whenever possible so we can walk to restaurants, etc., and give our often weary behinds a break. I absolutely cannot say enough positive things about the Ale House Inn. Just blocks from downtown, we could stroll, get something to eat, have a few drinks and stroll back. The rooms are ..... just what I would want in my home. Slept wonderfully. Beautiful decor, comfortable bed, lovely granite. Very environmentally conscioius. Rooms are appointed with a flat screen TV and an I-Pad for guest use as well as a more than ample refridgerator complete with water and a Kuerig coffee maker. Thoughtful touches such as the fan (for those of us of 'a certain age') and umbrella are provided. For those staying longer, the bikes available to guests and most importantly the survival guide are unique and much appreciated. Great snacks are provided - I especially liked the fruit selection. The "lobby" area is comfortable and I truly enjoyed relaxing and reading through all the journal entries about the Inn. Truly felt like I was staying a friends home, not a hotel/inn. Thanks especially to Shannon who spent time with me in the early a.m. while I was buzzing from the coffee - poor dear. I so look forward to returning to The Ale House Inn and spending more time in Portsmouth, NH.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Crystal W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#1 of 17 in Portsmouth
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Ale House Inn? Share your experiences!