$219
$168
$161
Homewood
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $180/night.

$229
$219
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
$149
Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$197
$180
Hampton.com
$315
$299
GardenInn.com
  • Pool
Howard Johnson by Wyndham Portsmouth(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$139
$175
$159
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $178/night.

$159
$154
All reviewsheated outdoor poolcontinental breakfastbagelsdowntown portsmouthnew englandroad noisecoffee makerhard boiled eggsroom was spotlessgreat place to stayfridge and microwavewould definitely stay here againone night stayminute driveconvenient locationfront desk staffflat screen tv
Reviewed July 4, 2008

I stayed in Port Inn for 4 days three nights. July 1,2,3. I had my small children ages 4,6, 9 with me the whole time. During our stayed we used the outdoor pool at least 9 times. Pool opens 9:00 am and closes 10:00 pm. During idle hours they claim they clean the pool everyday. This morning 9:30 am my kids wanted to go for one last swim. Unfortunately, this turned out to be the worst experience. There was a dead dead swollen rat in the pool filter. I am extremely concerned. My kids swallowed water, swam in that water. Right now, I am sick to my stomach just thinking what health hazards might happen. I brought up my concern while checking out and asked them to shut down the pool. The reply I got was "You are all set, you already paid, have a nice day". Manager didn't come out to speak with us, they didn't even apologize.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MOMManchester
bmacdDoverNH, General Manager at The Port Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2008

I sincerely apologize for the experience encountered at our pool. Unfortunately, as many owners of outdoor pools know, wildlife does find its way into these pools, which is why the skimmer filters are checked daily. Please be assured that we clean the pool daily, and keep a log of the daily chemical levels as required by the NH DES. We also "shock" the pool as required to eliminate bacteria ("shocking" is a high dose of chemicals that are put into the pool at closing time to eliminate bacteria). Following the report of the above mentioned incident, a sample of the pool water was brought to our pool service/supplier to have it tested; the results showed the reading to be normal and safe.

I apologize that there was not more empathy shown at check out. I, the manager, was not there on the day the guest checked out, that is why I did not come out to address the situation. I apologize for that, for at least I hope I could have eased any health concerns the guest may have had. We have been in touch with the guest a number of times over the past week, assuring that no health issues had occurred. As of our last correspondence, none had arisen.

Reviewed June 10, 2008

We were visiting Portsmouth for a wedding and the bride and groom recommended The Port Inn. It was the most affordable room in Portsmouth we found on the web and it was available. My husband called the Inn directly to book our room to be sure it would be smoke-free. The booking process was easy and the staff was helpful. Upon arriving at the Inn, we were able to check-in early which was wonderful because our 1 year old daughter was ready for her nap! Our room was nicely decorated, spacious and very clean. The microwave and mini-refrigerator in the room were very handy during our weekend stay. The three of us were very comfortable.
My husband enjoyed the sunny courtyard during naptime though we didn't have time to enjoy the heated outdoor pool.
The Inn was very easy to get to from the highway and it was extremely easy to get into and around Portsmouth from the Inn. If we visit the area in the future, we will definitely return to the Port Inn!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank AlmaScot
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Very courteous staff. On checkin found I had incorrectly booked a smoking room. They mentioned before giving us our room that it was smoking and when I said there must be a mistake they showed I booked it (by accident). They got us into a non-smoking room down below. Though there was eveidence of ongoing construction work the room was great. Liked that there were BOTH a microwave and a small refrigerator. Was generally quiet except for a noisy family that arrived late and was directly overhead. Until they settled down it was annoying. You might ask for a top floor unit to be safe. Morning continental breakfast was basically fruit and juice and danish tpe pastries . Nothing elaborate but very good and plenty of it. Coffee was very good.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoeMary01
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We got our information concerning The Port Inn off a travel website but called the Inn directly. Having done lots of traveling, we always know that there can be variables between what is on the website and what is actually experienced. The Port Inn exceeded all of our expectations in cleanliness, comfort and friendliness. We arrived about 8:00 PM and the desk clerk was MORE than helpful and friendly. He sent us right away to where the locals like to eat for a late dinner. Great food (no, I don't remember the name--we'd traveled all day to get there). He then gave us detailed and practical advise as to what to see in Portsmouth the following day as we only had one day in town before moving on to another location in New England. The continental breakfast had lots and lots of choices and everything was fresh. Coffee is available 24 hours a day and the lobby was very inviting to grab a cup and sit and relax for a while. Our room was very clean and the bathroom was small, but nicely updated and even had a hairdryer (doesn't always happen in our price range!). We highly recommend any length of stay at the Port Inn and hope to return some day when we're in that part of the country again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie P
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We had no particular destination in mind when booking this part of our trip, but after reading the great reviews we chose this hotel.
We arrived around 6 PM to the sight and sounds of construction along the whole front of the hotel, which really worried me. The desk clerk, a very pleasant gentleman, advised us that he upgraded us to a king bed (we booked 2 doubles, which were the only choice listed). We had to drive around to the second wing of the hotel, and couldn't hear any of the construction at that point.
This is where we ran into the only "problem"; we were placed on the second floor of the hotel almost at the very end of the hall. We were traveling with a baby (which means lots of baby things)and I'm pregnant so I was no help to my poor husband who had to schlep everything upstairs himself (no elevator and there is only one set of stairs). When I had originally called to book the room through the hotel, they told me they were fully booked (I ended up booking through expedia) so I didn't bother asking to switch rooms.
Our room was lovely: king size bed which was pretty comfortable, desk, small table with 2 chairs, and a kitchenette (mini fridge, microwave,stove,sink) with a set of dishware/silverware. The bathroom was a little on the small side, but I prefer to get ready by myself so it was a good excuse to keep my husband out!
The room was immaculate (and believe me, my happy crawler puts anything she can find on the floor in her mouth!) and well stocked. There was a nice little cubby by the bathroom where we could set up the portable crib and still have the light/TV on and talk without disturbing her.
We arrived to a smattering of rain, so we didn't go out to the pool, but it looked in very nice condition from a distance.
The location of the hotel was great - it is right off the expressway and about a mile from the Maine border and all the shopping malls. I didn't like the sign on the pole out front - made it seem less homey and more Motel 6-ish. One "problem" with location however... we had a GPS system which didn't want to recognize the full address. It did, however, get us to the general vicinity where of course we chose the wrong direction... not hard to turn around though. I went out to get food from a local mexican restaurant, and it was difficult to get back because there were a lot of one way streets and highways you can't turn around on.
The continental breakfast seemed like a little less than what I've seen at other places - mostly bread,muffins,danish,bagels, and a little bit of fruit and juices. I would have liked to see (as did another guest next to me) a little more variety like yogurt.
Checkout was very easy and we were well rested and happy.
One tip: I'm not sure I would want to pay full price for the room, but I'm known to be frugal (aka "CHEAP"). Search around different travel websites to get a good deal - they are out there.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family