“Great place for steaks”

Demeters Steakhouse
Ranked #51 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Demeters is a spirited celebration of the classic American steakhouse experience in a comfortable, modern atmosphere. We offer a selection of USDA prime steaks, fresh local seafood and housemade pastas, along with casual menu options such as burgers and shared appetizers. Our bar features handcrafted speciality cocktails and a world-class selection of more than 250 bottled wines. And with spacious private rooms and patio dining, we are Portsmouth's ideal place for any special occasion.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We've been trying to find a good steakhouse and this is it. The bread came out warm with a plate of roasted garlic, oil and butter. The steaks were done perfectly and the sides were awesome.
We always sit at the bar and the service was very good and the bartender was excellent.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our table experience was extremely below average for ANY restaurant, especially one 'attempting' to provide an elegant atmosphere. Our waitress ignored our table, my Manhattan was watery, the table was not bused when the meal arrived (even though we finished long before), the fork accompanying the vegetable side was filthy, the iced tea was cloudy, the meat (supposedly their specialty) was grisly.

If you are accustomed to *fine* dining, then this is NOT the place. The prices denote higher-end, higher quality food and service, none of which were present.

Please go there, if you are sports-minded (TVs are never out of sight), and you are willing to forego a pleasurable eating experience to watch a game, all-the-while being charged substantially over-average prices for a mediocre food and even worst service... enjoy!

Thank JoeExpect More ... M
Reviewed November 23, 2013

As we arrived to our table or waiter Matt "DINO" was prompt and gracious. He had a total understanding of the menu and made recommendations as he saw fit ,very helpful. The food was wonderful and prepared as ordered. However, the high point of the night was recusing ourselves to the Bar. Where I had a very enjoyable experience Nunzio,Steve and Carter,were gracious the drinks were ample, each spent some moment that made you feel if you were the only patron. We had such and enjoyable evening that I went back to thank them. first time I have ever done that. They greeted me by name a handshake I enjoyed another drink. An elegant bar good service with great televisions with sports on. Never have I been in an upscale bar with plenty of televisions. well done.

1  Thank 145charles
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Expensive ($140 for 2) but excellent quality food and pleasant and professional service. Meat was exceptional, so really recommend the steaks.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I have been dying to try this place. I travel a lot for work and eat out a lot, so when I'm home I either want to eat in or have a meal worth the price. Demeter's is in a strange location although they did a great job on the modern interior. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable and the cocktails were quite good.
The meal was disappointing, especially considering the price. We both ordered the prime steaks and the steaks were OK, not great, not up to par with the other area steakhouses we've eaten at. The sides were most disappointing. The asparagus didn't have the tough bottoms either pealed or broken off, and were nearly raw. The brussel sprouts weren't 'tender crisp' simply undercooked.
For the price, or less, there are far better choices in the Portsmouth area.

1  Thank skisrxx