“Not worth the money”

Demeters Steakhouse
Ranked #54 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Demeters is a spirited celebration of the classic American steakhouse experience in a comfortable, modern atmosphere. We offer a selection of USDA prime steaks, fresh local seafood and housemade pastas, along with casual menu options such as burgers and shared appetizers. Our bar features handcrafted speciality cocktails and a world-class selection of more than 250 bottled wines. And with spacious private rooms and patio dining, we are Portsmouth's ideal place for any special occasion.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went there for a special occasion - had reservations and the table was ready. It went downhill from there. The service was very slow. The waitstaff seemed way stretched, which meant that drink orders never came. The food was good, but the price point was excessive. One dessert order never came - totally forgot. Suggest that you look elsewhere for a good meal with good service.

1  Thank Junia N

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Even with sitting at the bar, we had to wait quite a while to get our drinks. After ordering our food, we were asked if we would like bread. The bartender brought the bread after we had already paid the bill. For a restaurant that is new, fairly empty, and very expensive, they certainly don't go out of their way to impress. The food is good,but it should be for the price.
It doesn't meet the expectations.

1  Thank tennis_1951
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I decided to try out Demeters for dinner one night (we live about 3 miles away and have seen it so many times as we passed by). We popped in on a Friday night without reservations and were promptly told that they were booked but we could wait at the bar and something would come up soon. We agreed and then ordered an appetizer and drink for each of us. I had some shrimp and my wife had escargot, both done very well. I was able to order a nicer (than usual) glass of wine as they have a system that apparently can dispense a glass of wine from virtually any bottle and then seal it up again. Very nice, but caused me to go a bit overboard on my choice! With tip, the bar tab came to be $80. Ouch!

A table was available for us sooner than we expected, so that was pleasant. We just ordered our main course when we sat down as we had been looking at the menu while at the bar. Unfortunately, the waiter told us the specials and I had to go for the surf & turf (lobster and steak), which was cooked perfectly. I can't remember what my wife had but she said it was probably the best she has ever had. With sides ala-carte (asparagus for me, not sure what she had), and then a shared dessert, the bill, with tip, ended up being over $200! Another ouch. A total of $300 for really nice appetizers, drinks and meal seems just a bit much for this place that basically used to be a car dealership that sits next to wetlands.

The service was very nice, if not a bit over the top. The waiter was trying just a bit too much, almost in your face too much.

They also have an 'outside' patio that appears to more of a 3-or-4 season patio, which unfortunately, has great views of the wetlands (not nice wetlands) and Rt 1 traffic (which is busy).

Reviewed December 11, 2012

After reading some of the other reviews, I can only conclude that some of the reviewers don't understand or appreciate this fine restaurant. Demeter's provides an outstanding dining experience that rivals and equals the fine steakhouses of New York and Chicago. As many diners have no point of reference, they also may not understand the exceptional quality of product being served, or the quality of service. I can only say that a meal at Demeter's will never disappoint - and you can be sure that anyone who knows the difference will be thrilled with the food, the atmosphere, and the overall experience. As far as the prices - you get what you pay for, and the quality speaks for itself! For all of these reasons, Demeter's is my new favorite restaurant.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a very hard review to write.... I usually can't find enough Superlatives to praise a Gr8 Establishment, but in this case....it's just the opposite? I was invited to join a Business Friend at Demeters for dinner and drinks. We had a reservation, and I requested a booth or quiet table for our business discussion. When I arrived, my associate was seated at a small table for 2, in the center of an empty restaurant? I reminded them of my request...They said they had lots of revervations for that evening...?? Reluctantly, they agreed to move us to the perimeter, but no booth....even though several were available, and it was 5:30 p.m.? I immediately asked for some bread and butter, as I was starving. We also ordered drinks. After about 15 minutes, I asked about our bread n butter.... "Yes Sir, it's coming out now".... How about the wine? "Right Away Sir"..... But, nothing came? I flagged down our server again and asked what's up? "I'll be right with you".... The steaks were appx $50.00 A la Carte? The sides were $8.00-$10.00.... and in an empty restaurant...we could not get a Roll and some Butter...or a glass of Wine? Hardly the level of service, or lack of, that I would expect in a Fine Dining Establishment? Finally, I grabbed another server and asked about our bread..... He brought us out the bread, but still no wine? I asked about getting some soup.....?? Things were getting tense, and I was starting to Boil..... We had been there over 30 mins, and I was still begging for a glass of wine an a bowl of soup? I stood up and walked over to speak to the Manager.....
I asked if I could speak with him for a moment.... Described the situation, and asked for a new server, and some SERVICE??? He seemed annoyed with me? Suggested that I relax and that he would find out what was going on? The restaurant was empty? We finally decided to cut our losses and go elsewhere..... I explained to the Manager my dissatisfaction and insult!!
He thought I was over reacting and that I should understand:-) Enough said!!
This restaurant is in a remodeled car dealership...... Cold and Stark, located just barely within Portsmouth...... They're trying to be The Capital Grill or Flemings :-) The prices are even higher than some/most fine dining Steak Houses?? The Service is Horrible, the attitude even worse..... I never got to sample he food...... I can only imagine ??

6  Thank Aladdin69