“Horribly Disappointing!!”

Demeters Steakhouse
Ranked #68 of 209 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Demeters is a spirited celebration of the classic American steakhouse experience in a comfortable, modern atmosphere. We offer a selection of USDA prime steaks, fresh local seafood and housemade pastas, along with casual menu options such as burgers and shared appetizers. Our bar features handcrafted speciality cocktails and a world-class selection of more than 250 bottled wines. And with spacious private rooms and patio dining, we are Portsmouth's ideal place for any special occasion.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a very hard review to write.... I usually can't find enough Superlatives to praise a Gr8 Establishment, but in this case....it's just the opposite? I was invited to join a Business Friend at Demeters for dinner and drinks. We had a reservation, and I requested a booth or quiet table for our business discussion. When I arrived, my associate was seated at a small table for 2, in the center of an empty restaurant? I reminded them of my request...They said they had lots of revervations for that evening...?? Reluctantly, they agreed to move us to the perimeter, but no booth....even though several were available, and it was 5:30 p.m.? I immediately asked for some bread and butter, as I was starving. We also ordered drinks. After about 15 minutes, I asked about our bread n butter.... "Yes Sir, it's coming out now".... How about the wine? "Right Away Sir"..... But, nothing came? I flagged down our server again and asked what's up? "I'll be right with you".... The steaks were appx $50.00 A la Carte? The sides were $8.00-$10.00.... and in an empty restaurant...we could not get a Roll and some Butter...or a glass of Wine? Hardly the level of service, or lack of, that I would expect in a Fine Dining Establishment? Finally, I grabbed another server and asked about our bread..... He brought us out the bread, but still no wine? I asked about getting some soup.....?? Things were getting tense, and I was starting to Boil..... We had been there over 30 mins, and I was still begging for a glass of wine an a bowl of soup? I stood up and walked over to speak to the Manager.....
I asked if I could speak with him for a moment.... Described the situation, and asked for a new server, and some SERVICE??? He seemed annoyed with me? Suggested that I relax and that he would find out what was going on? The restaurant was empty? We finally decided to cut our losses and go elsewhere..... I explained to the Manager my dissatisfaction and insult!!
He thought I was over reacting and that I should understand:-) Enough said!!
This restaurant is in a remodeled car dealership...... Cold and Stark, located just barely within Portsmouth...... They're trying to be The Capital Grill or Flemings :-) The prices are even higher than some/most fine dining Steak Houses?? The Service is Horrible, the attitude even worse..... I never got to sample he food...... I can only imagine ??

6  Thank Aladdin69

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The pricing is New York/Boston level. The restaurant is nice. The location is a little odd but parking is easy. The service was good but not really polished. The food was very good, but not five star. Went with my wife and two daughters for a big night out. And yes I'm used to New York/Boston prices. Daughters are too young to drink. My wife and I had two drinks a piece. We had 3 apps, each had an entree, two sides and we had two desserts. The bill with tip was over $400, really? You really have to be really on top of your game for these price, especially in NH. As others have stated their are other high quality places in the Portsmouth area for a lot less money. Just went to the Carriage House in Rye lovely settting by the beach. Son was home so five of us. Three drinking, 4 apps, 5 outstanding meals and 4 desserts; bill under $300 with tip.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

First time visitor to Demeters and likely our last for quite a while. Food was very good but way overpriced. I personally don't think the area will support the restaurant because of cost and many more reasonably priced restaurant within 5 miles.
Was surprised at so few people on Sunday at 6:00 PM but obviously families cannot pay that much.

1  Thank Coop3842
Reviewed August 22, 2012

What a lovely contemporary decorated place. We had four in our party and were seated immediately. The waitstaff were attentive but not overly so. Two in our party ordered Filet Mignon and two ordered the Bone in Rib Eye. They have a unique way of ordering side dishes. We ordered one very large baked potato for two people. Additional order of carmelized onions and asparagus. Our steaks were cooked perfectly and we all enjoyed them. The side dishes were delicious as well. Knowing before hand that the entrees and side dishes were quite expensive we were aware that our bill would be high. This is certainly not a restaurant that we would visit too often; however, it is one that we will certainly go back to in the future. The food was delicious and the atmosphere beautiful. I would certainly recommend Demeters as a lovely place to go for a special occasion.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

4 of us had dinner here- The rack of lamb - was 3 cocktail size lamb chops-- We all felt the place is overpriced and feel that it will not last a kyear-- Sorry to have to say that.

2  Thank JerryDEBO