“Don't like to be Cheated”

Demeters Steakhouse
Ranked #68 of 209 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Demeters is a spirited celebration of the classic American steakhouse experience in a comfortable, modern atmosphere. We offer a selection of USDA prime steaks, fresh local seafood and housemade pastas, along with casual menu options such as burgers and shared appetizers. Our bar features handcrafted speciality cocktails and a world-class selection of more than 250 bottled wines. And with spacious private rooms and patio dining, we are Portsmouth's ideal place for any special occasion.
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Had dinner at Demeters in Portsmouth, N.H. Was told that the oysters were from Wellfleet - there must be 20 times more Wellfleet oysters sold in the U.S. than are actually produced. The oysters that were presented were spawning -- they had the squishy white sack that tastes like mush - and they were definitely not from Wellfleet.

Wellfleets are small or medium sized and have a greenish cast on the shell. They have a briny taste. Demeters' spawning oysters were much larger and had a brown cast on the shell. No briny taste. My guess is that they came from fresh water south of Long Island. Southern oysters are normally larger and cheaper.

Unfortunately, seafood and shellfish fraud is commonplace in restaurants today.

1  Thank CreaseSt

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I've been to Demeters three times now, twice for lunch and once for dinner, and have not been disappointed. I love it for lunch because it's quiet, especially in the booths, and is perfect for discussing business. Very adult. But the real news is that you can now order off the lower priced Grill Menu (lunch menu) even at night. Frankly, this makes Demeters a steal. On the Grill Menu, among many entrees, they have multiple kinds of burgers. The first time I went I had the "U.S. Prime" and loved it so much I got it again last night. I have had some legendary burgers in my life including Maxwell's Plum and the original Jackson Hole and this burger was better.

Finally, I think dinner a la carte prices annoyed some Yankee sensibilities which has led to some real punishing reviews. The beauty now is that you don't have to drop so much cash to check it out. Did I mention what the burger and the best fries in Portsmouth cost? $16. That leaves plenty of room for a glass of wine or beer. Check it out. Also the best onion rings in my life but be careful they are rich.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

An upscale steakhouse on the order of DelFrisco's or Grille 23 or Morton's or Capital Grill in Portsmouth? Boy, were we hoping. And boy, were we disappointed. The only parallels to those bastions of cavernous beefeating were the prices. Any other parallels have a long, long way to go. Our two attempts at dining there reflected the following: service was spotty at best and absent at worst; preparation was often quite careless and generally bore no relationship to the level of "doneness" ordered (unless medium rare means completely opaque and dark brown finsih throughout the cut); and sides? Hope you get something near what you ordered, or at least hope that people at other tables are ordering good ones, because you're likely to get some of theirs.

Want something akin to DelFrisco's or Grille 23 or Morton's or Capital Grill? Drive to Boston. You'll be back in the Seacoast by the time Demeters brings you the check anyway.

2  Thank NH_Guy
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We went knowing that this would be an expensive restaurant and expecting ambiance, service and food to match. It did not. I would expect for a restaurant of this caliber to have more elegant service.The lobster bisque was very good, the sushi appetizer fine, but minimal in quantity. I ordered the $42 filet, medium rare. It came out medium. The menu is completely ala carte, so you get a piece of meat on a plate. At least, spruce it up. By the time I recieved my replacement steak, I had already received the potato and vegetable (green beans) and had filled up on that and the bread. My husband enjoyed his strip steak and said it had been cooked and trimmed fine. The deserts are ridiculously priced. $10 for a piece of apple pie with a small scoop of ice cream? I guess my overall observation was that the restaurant was ok, but for $200+ bill for 2 people, I expected a lot more. I am in no rush to return.There are too many fine restaurants in the area that serve prime steaks to put up withoverpriced pseudo fancy.

2  Thank mianoi
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We've been to Demeters twice now. First let me say I'm glad there's a place like this here in the sea coast area. But, they've got some work to do.

Ambiance. A bit odd. The center bar is a bit like a sports bar. On two sides are nice areas with white linen table clothes. By the door are a few booths. We've sat Blythe door (not good...like a tgi Fridays) and by the open kitchen (nice).

Food. Good but inconsistent. The first visit I started with a Caesar salad which was outstanding. My wife's regular salad was poor (unusual for her). For steak we had the Demeter which is a shared plate of Filet Mignon, Rib Eye, and NY sirloin (I think). Filet and Rib Eye were very good. Clearly a cut above what one would get at other local steakhouses like the Library or Four. Not quite as good as a Morton's though. Wine ok, expensive. Bread looked like supermarket bought Italian loaf. Completely inappropriate for a place like this. On our second visit my salad was awful (little dressing, cheese or croutons), my wife's was excellent. Go figure. She had the Filet which was excellent...I had the Rib Eye which was cooked well done though I ordered it medium. Ate it anyway but was quite disappointing. We had desert - can't remember what - but it was good (and large). Sides were ok.

Service. In general quite good. The first time my wife's first glass of wine was vinergary. They replaced it quickly without cost. The second time when the GM came over and asked how things were I pointed out my steak was quite over cooked. Wasn't complaining but he asked. He asked me to cut into the center. He looked and said "hmmm that is well done.". Off he went. No offer to cook me another, no offer of any recompense. I wasn't looking for a comp or anything but it was a strange encounter and different from other high end places I've been. For $49 (price of the rib eye) I expected better.

Summary. Quality of the steak is high. Service good. Ambiance ok. If you go there expecting value, you'll be disappointed. It is clearly overpriced like most of these high end steakhouses. Probably by 1/3rd. But if you want to splurge, can overlook the $$$$ for a night, and enjoy high end steak, give it a try. I hope they address some of their issues and are around for a long time.

2  Thank Da-lug