“Probably not going to visit here again.”
Review of Motel 6 Portsmouth

Motel 6 Portsmouth
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed September 2, 2014

After a 4 hr drive, we get to the room and there was no toilet paper in sight. We went to get some and they only had 1 roll to give us. The window screen had a huge hole in it. When our room was cleaned by staff, we came back to find out hotel door room was left open. thankfully nothing was taken out. But the ash trays were not emptied. There was no clock of any kind in the room. There was hair in the shower. To get WIFI you had to pay. Which in this day in age is ridiculous.
On the bright side the staff was nice and friendly.

Reviewed September 2, 2014

I made reservation for one night on August 31st to September 1st, I was asked what type of bed I wanted but nothing else.
Upon arrival I was told that my room is a smoking room, unfortunately I am allergic to smoke and I had no idea that a smoking room is assigned without verification with the guest first.
I had to change the room, got a different bed setting, which I did not care of but to my surprise I was penalized for the change, and had to pay more???
well the room was clean but smelled of cigarets, no lid on the toilet, so the aerosolzation after flushing spays the droplets on the tooth brushes, not so appetizing and the noise of the flushing woke everyone on the floor up.
Not my recommendation.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a non smoking room if you wish so. I would not go there again
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2014

We had not stayed at a modernized Motel 6, so were looking for a competitively-priced room with no other expectations. What we found was a pleasing surprise. It was easy to check in, there was no clutter and it was no chore to ascertain nothing of ours was left behind. The bed was spartan yet comfortable, with good pillows. The tv was adequate and the bathroom appealing in that the shower resembled a pod and the toilet was efficient and quick. We heard nothing from neighboring rooms. To our surprise, there was hot coffee by the front desk. We enjoyed a brief conversation with the desk clerk. We hope more Motel 6's will make this change, which ought to appeal to young travelers and progressive seniors.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Galoshes2Heels
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I am puzzled by the bad reviews I am reading here. We travel from Sweden and are used to European hotels so were not sure what to expect. The recently remodeled room was very clean with comfortable beds and pillows. Although it is beside a busy highway it was very quiet. The personnel are extremely friendly and accomodating - we were quickly provided with anything we asked for and it was obvious that they enjoyed working there. One night we were a bit bothered by noise in a neighboring room which the front desk person immediately addressed. The pool and pool area were very clean for the whole week we were there despite heavy usage. This is a budget motel that is clean, friendly, allows dogs and charges a very reasonable rate. You are not going to find the amenities that you pay exorbitant prices for in 5 star hotels but you will find a clean, friendly, quiet place to stay with your pet. Great value.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank darron118
Reviewed August 27, 2014

There was hair in the bed and shower. They advertise free wife, you actually have to pay for it. They advertise a heard pool, it wasn't heated. It wasn't even open. The walls were thin. You could hear everything. There wasn't even a box of tissues in the room.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
6Team, Brand Experience Team member at Motel 6 Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Susan, Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced due to the cleanliness, Wi-Fi rate, pool maintenance issues, noise concerns and absence of expected amenities which led to your unpleasant stay. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to have a record of your stay and help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

as a Marriott Rewards member,I cannot afford to sleep in hotels like these every single time, especially in midsummer when the prices are at their highest.As dog owner,Marriott's will charge a $100 room sanitation fee. Motel 6 accepts dogs at no extra cost (or $10, I don't remember), and besides, where else in Portsmouth can you book a room for 2 adults under 100$ a night? This is a great no nonsense motel. The rooms are very clean and the beds comfortable. The bathrooms have been recently renovated. You won't get a coffee maker, iron, hair dryer, clock radio or shampoo but keep in mind that this is a price point hotel. The carpets in the stairways are dirty but I don't care about that. I only wish that the wifi was free. they charge an extra $2.99 per day. If I give a company $100, I should be getting free WiFi.Even wifi is free at low end restaurants like McDonalds

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Paul I
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Don't stay at this hotel. Many negatives - but worse was the bed bugs. When I complained at the front desk, very unsympathetic. As it turns out, we were not the only ones. Another woman in the lobby at the same time, also complained. Although this is a budget chain, no excuse for cleanliness. The hotel is very noisy (room doors are very loud when opening/closing and when someone near you flushes the toilet - sounds like a jet engine just fired up), the parking lot is difficult to use and turn around. Although I didn't use the pool, I wouldn't have - not clean.

3  Thank dmw410