“Fabulous and friendly”

Durbar Square Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Nepali, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Fresh healthy and local food in Nepali traditional style cooking . Exciting every bite!!
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fabulous and friendly”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We chose this spot for brunch over several in the neighborhood because it looked cozy and attractive inside and I really wanted Eggs Benedict. . We were seated on the 2nd floor by a window - the staff were very friendly and helpful, we were introduced to the chef when my husband expressed his delight with his crab cake sandwich. There was an extensive brunch menu with a lot of items that sounded unique, we'll be back.
One con: The bathrooms are in the basement, so at least one flight of stairs to climb if that is a problem for you. The dining areas are on the first and 2nd story.

Visited February 2013

Newfields, New Hampshire
“Hidden gem of Portsmouth”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

For some reason, Michelle's on Market Square seems to remain a hidden gem within Portsmouth. While many of my friends have heard of Michelle's, most have not tried it. When looking to make reservations in Portsmouth, Michelle's seems to have the most availability, even when looking last minute. However, I don't expect this trend to continue. The food is simply too good.

My wife and I went here this past weekend for her birthday dinner. Having been several times, we knew to expect a great meal. We were not disappointed. I ordered the steak au poivre, my wife ordered the rack of lamb. The steak is topped with peppercorns and sauted mushrooms and comes with au gratin potatoes, asparagus and a side of gorgonzola cream sauce. The rack of lamb is served with roasted carrots and potatoes, and covered in a Madeira sauce.

Simply put, both meals were amazing and exceeded my expectations in every way. While the description of the steak makes it sound like it is more a strip steak, what came out was closer to a thick filet mignon. The au gratin potatoes were almost mashed with the cheese and other ingredients backed right in. The steak which was cooked perfectly to a medium rare was delicious by itself, but the addition of the gorgonzola cream sauce simply put it over the top. My wife shared with me a few bites of her rack of lamb, and that too was outstanding. I particularly liked the sweetness (but not too sweet) of the Madeira sauce.

For dessert, we opted to try the chocolate and almond bread pudding. This isn't typically a dessert that I would be drawn to, but it was very good as well. Not on the same level as the steak and lamb, but still very good.

Service was very good as well with the wait staff bringing us bread, drinks and checking in with us from time to time.

I'd definitely recommend Michelle's to all. If you've never been, try to go during Restaurant Week b/c Michelle's typically offers their entire menu for a fixed price during that week. You won't regret it!

• Visited January 2013
North Attleboro, MA
“Really great food, service, and atmosphere”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

There were 8 of us in our party when we dined at Michelle's ..we were able to be seated right away, our server was patient and helpful, and when one of my friends just really didnt care for her choice in drink , the instantly took it back and brought her a new one, and she didnt even ask, the waiter just noticed she wasnt enjoying it. The food, was great, the menu was good, and we all left full and happy, and agreed we would all return.

• Visited December 2012
Winter Springs, Florida
“enjoyed a gourmet dinner while watching Portsmouth nightlife go by”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stopped in Portsmouth on a busy Friday night on Columbus Day weekend, forgetting how crowded most of the restaurants would be, and not having made a reservation anywhere.
After walking several blocks and almost giving up we were enticed by the inviting smells and ambiance emanating from this eatery. We didn't hold out much hope of being seated and thought it might be too fancy for our travel clothes, but we were welcomed to sit at a front window table downstairs, where there are several small tables, just right for hosting walk-ins off the cool, rainy Main Street.
Both of our entrees were cooked to perfection in different and delicious ways, and the presentations were mouth-watering. I was happy to enjoy one more amazing lobster roll before leaving New England, one prepared unlike any I'd ever had.
On our next trip to Portsmouth we'll make reservations so we can enjoy the larger upstairs space with corner views from the windows.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank claireleefl
Blackstone, Massachusetts
“Good Food at a Nice Location”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I ate at Michelle's for the second time. We started with a beet salad which was split for us and was just enough. She had the pan seared scallop dish and I had the beef dish. Both were nicely cooked and presented. Portions are ample. Prices are not cheap but fine for the quality of food. Bill are server was good but just did his job. Place is small so make reservations. Parking is on the road or public parking garage at .75 per hour. We were on the second floor which may be a little warmer during the colder months.

Will return when we are in the area.

Visited December 2012