“enjoyed a gourmet dinner while watching Portsmouth nightlife go by”

Durbar Square Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Fresh healthy and local food in Nepali traditional style cooking . Exciting every bite!!
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stopped in Portsmouth on a busy Friday night on Columbus Day weekend, forgetting how crowded most of the restaurants would be, and not having made a reservation anywhere.
After walking several blocks and almost giving up we were enticed by the inviting smells and ambiance emanating from this eatery. We didn't hold out much hope of being seated and thought it might be too fancy for our travel clothes, but we were welcomed to sit at a front window table downstairs, where there are several small tables, just right for hosting walk-ins off the cool, rainy Main Street.
Both of our entrees were cooked to perfection in different and delicious ways, and the presentations were mouth-watering. I was happy to enjoy one more amazing lobster roll before leaving New England, one prepared unlike any I'd ever had.
On our next trip to Portsmouth we'll make reservations so we can enjoy the larger upstairs space with corner views from the windows.

1  Thank claireleefl

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I ate at Michelle's for the second time. We started with a beet salad which was split for us and was just enough. She had the pan seared scallop dish and I had the beef dish. Both were nicely cooked and presented. Portions are ample. Prices are not cheap but fine for the quality of food. Bill are server was good but just did his job. Place is small so make reservations. Parking is on the road or public parking garage at .75 per hour. We were on the second floor which may be a little warmer during the colder months.

Will return when we are in the area.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I waffled between 2 stars and 1 star for this one but really the more I thought about it the more I was really disappointed by the overall experience. I will say up front that our service was good but that was about the only good thing about the meal.

My husband and I started with The Lobster and Brie salad (his choice) and the Wild mushroom and poached egg (my choice) appetizers. the salad was uninspired, thrown haphazardly together, contained pieces of lobster shell, and was smothered in a very strong italian dressing that overpowered everything including the lobster and brie. The sauce on the wild mushroom app was good but unfortunately the mushrooms tasted like they came from a can and the pancetta was thick and chewy and cold.

For our main courses I had the Beef Bordeaux (a house specialty according to the waiter) and my husband had the Steak Au Poivre. We both ordered our steaks medium -my husband's was fine but mine was basically raw! It was so undercooked I seriously thought about sending it back but didn't. The vegetables on both plates were overcooked and mushy and somehow everything was either cold or lukewarm.

For dessert I had the bourbon spice cake and my husband had the amaretto cheesecake. The vanilla cream on the cake was very good but the cake itself was dry and bland. The cheesecake was extremely sweet -almost too sweet to eat. And for reasons known only to the chef both desserts came drizzled with a sweet artificial tasting berry sauce that was awful and ruined the flavors of both dishes.

As others have mentioned the upstairs dining room gets very, very smokey. You will smell like smoke and grease -we were seated over near the bar and not in the main dining room and we still smelled awful when we left the restaurant. I don't know how you could sit there and enjoy a meal with that much smoke in the room. Do not plan to go out after you eat here -you will need to change first.

For $150.00 for two people this restaurant just doesn't measure up. Not even close. There are much, much better restaurants in town for either the same cost or less.

3  Thank wzlNH
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Great food and service with a special view of Market Square Portsmouth NH! I can't wait to try the duck or lamb.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I had brunch here while visiting Portsmouth on a Sunday afternoon. The seafood crepes were amazing! I didn't expect to have such a good meal, it was really a treat. Big chunks of lobster, and the sauce was very delicate and delicious. The service was good and we had a nice table overlooking the street and shops below. I would definitely visit again if in the area.