“reserved smoking room”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
meshoppen, United States
“reserved smoking room”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Made reservation for smoking room,when we get there clerk says we don't have smoking rooms.Stayed less then a month ago in a smoking room.Usually don't have a problem,stay at this hotel at least 8 to 10 times a year.Besides this trip i would recommend 100 percent.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Mark W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
I am sorry we were unable to honor your request but we really do appreciate your staying with us as frequently as you do. I do apologize but we only have a select few limited amount of rooms that are smoking. Please feel free to call us in advance next time and we will do everything we can to assist you in getting the room you wish. Thank you for recommending our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Sandwich, United States
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Portsmouth Best Western is my home away whether on business or family visits. As a return visitor, desk staff recognize/greet us. Last winter when I became ill, they quickly extended our stay and offered assistance. For conferences staff is always quick to respond to any support we need. For business or pleasure, Portsmouth Best Western is always ready to help.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel. We truly appreciate you feeling like our hotel is a second home. By the way I feel like it is my second home too. Our Front Desk has a lot of longevity with our hotel so they enjoy seeing familiar faces return time after time. We are glad to help any of our guests when they experience an unusual circumstance such as an illness. Hopefully your health is doing well now. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you around our second home in the near future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I am just stating the facts of my five night stay at this hotel:

1. After being in the car for 4+ hours and arriving to check in, I was advised that my room would not be ready for another hour (well past check in time) and to please come back. Just what you want to hear that you have to go kill an hour while waiting for your room to be ready.

2. Once I checked into the room, I noticed that a used bar of soap from the previous guest was left in the shower by housekeeping.

3. The a/c stopped working on day 2 in the room. I called the front desk, and was advised that maintenance would come by at 9 the following morning to check it, and was offered to switch rooms, which I did not want to do since I was unpacked and it was late at night. I called the front desk the next morning at 10 since maintenance had not come yet to check the a/c. They said they would call right back. The front desk person came to my room an hour later. In the meantime, I noticed that the a/c would shut on and off and told the front desk person that it was ok just as long as it would turn on. What I was NOT OK with was that the next day, someone came into my room without my permission or knowledge. I returned to my room and there was a fan plugged in turned on sitting on top of the A/C unit. It was not put there by housekeeping because they did not clean my room that day.

4. The back entrance door was not locked, even though there was a sign that said to swipe your room card for access. Anyone could enter the hotel through that entrance.

5. When I checked out, no one asked how my stay was. Yes, I may be splitting hairs here, but had they asked I would have told them in person and this review may not have been as bad based on their response.

I am in the Portsmouth area at least once a year. This was my first stay at the Best Western and most likely the last.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Noott
We are terribly sorry you did not enjoy your experience in New Hampshire this year. We feel bad that you room was not ready for you at your arrival. Our staff works very hard and we apologize the cleaning process took longer than it should have plus that we missed a bar of soap. We will research you concerns about the air conditioning in your room. We have fixed the back entrance door to make sure the key card is the only way to gain access to the hotel other than the main lobby. I will speak to the Front Desk associates to make sure we follow up with all of our guests at check-out. Our staff is normally very good about talking to our guests as noted in several other reviews so I apologize we did not ask you specifically. We appreciate your input and wish you the best of luck on your next visit to our great state of New Hampshire.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I took a long weekend trip to Portsmouth, NH. We stayed at the Best Western in Portsmouth. The hotel was very nice and the room was excellent. I did like the amenities that it had. I told my husband of 42 years that I loved the furniture and wood love a new bedroom set just like the one we had there. We did have some problems with the key card which they had to give us new cards as it happened a few times. The weather was extremely hot for New England 97-100 degrees the whole time we were there. I felt that the room really was warm even when we turned the air conditioning to the highest setting... The restaurant affiliated with the hotel was terrific, as well as the service. I wish that they could have given a free continental breaksfast which many hotels do. It really added up to spending a lot of money at restaurants. The hotel staff were wonderful also. I didn't realize that the hotel was right next to the expressway. I really like to walk for exercise and they did have a gym, but I love to be outside walking and that really wasn't possible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Claire S
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We appreciate your time and thoughts. If you would like to call us at we would be glad to keep your information on file for the next time we do a remodel. We are so pleased you like our furniture that when we turn over to some new products we would love to make you a great deal. I apologize that you had some problems with the key cards. We are glad you like the Roundabout Diner next to our hotel. We agree the food and the service at the diner are terrific. The diner does offer a discount for hotel guests. I am sorry you didn’t get a chance to walk around outside near our hotel. Our location is actually quite unique in that we are not downtown but our hotel is at the beginning of the downtown residential area of Portsmouth. Even though we are close to the expressway we are also close to many beautiful sidewalks and neighborhood paths. Please let us know next time you are in the area and we will gladly give you the direction of a nice walk maybe we will even join you for a stroll.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place has really comfortable beds. Also a great location to stay if you want to shop at the outlets in Kittery ME, just a few km across the bridge. Easy access to route 1 and great coffee all day in the lobby

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

1 Thank BDGates
We are so pleased you were happy with the comfort of our beds. We have rotated our bed stock on a regular basis over the year as well as trying the latest and greatest in pillow top mattresses. Our location is convenient to both the outlets in Maine as well as the tax free stores in New Hampshire. Coffee is also available in each room with your own coffee maker as well as the lobby. I am glad you thought the coffee was great. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again real soon.
north windham, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The hotel was very clean, the staff was helpful in things we could do and places to visit .The two pools and laundry areas are a plus. We were close to the beach. This is a great place for familys with children of all ages

2 Thank Frank(kids) C
Thank you for writing such as nice review of our hotel. We really appreciate you noticing how hard our staff works to keep our hotel clean. We all work very hard to make the best stay possible for our guests. All travelers families, couples and individuals enjoy our amenities like both pools and fitness room. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
New Bedford, United States
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I would definitely stay there again, large room, comfortable room. Friendly staff. Very cute diner attached. Fridge in room, small recliner, flat screen tv all the comforts of home. Right off the highway easy on easy off. Great stop over.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Annette S
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We appreciate your quick synopsis of your room and your headline. We try hard to provide a nice clean place to stay for our guest visiting the Portsmouth area. All of our staff enjoys their work in the hospitality industry and are naturally friendly. We hope you will be able to visit again.