“Average - but Portsmouth restaurants are very good/excellent”
Review of The District

The District
Ranked #90 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Contemporary New American, locally sourced, fresh seafood. Weekend Brunch, full menu tip midnight 7 nights a week
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went for the first time to The District. If you go in the winter, I strongly advise asking for a table far away from the door! They did the best they could trying to block the blast of cold air when the door is opened - but you can feel it.
Summers they have an outdoor area that could be very nice. Always nice to eat outdoors in downtown.
Had the cod which was a decent size portion but just a little smaller than other places - usually you can get 2 meals out of one. Definitely needed more seasoning.
Food is very good - but nothing that really wows you.
While I would go back - it would be more for a change of pace.
I think the review from Stefy S is on target - not bad but not great and need to decide on a formula and stick to it.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We wandered in with no expectations and were delighted with our choice. Among us we tried 5 appetizers & 4 entrees. The food was delicious & each of us was delighted with the dishes. Servings are appropriately sized, not so large as to immediately remove any appetite, as is so common. Seasoning was balanced & unique without making a point of extreme novelty. The restaurant boasts locally sourced food & everything was fresh & attractive. We were there early & it was not noisy. We will definitely go back with friends.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We are locals, and picky since there are so many great local restaurants. Main reason we tried it was a gift certificate given to us over the holidays. Nice menu selection, fresh and excellent blend of flavors. I started with a 'Jenny's gone' cocktail which blended rye, absinthe and citrus for a subtle blend of flavors in a refreshing, not too sweet drink. My husband was pleased to find 'iron mike' beer from Moat Mountain. We consider ourselves calamari aficionados, their version was outstanding... Likely breaded and fried, crispy and not greasy, very fresh! Finished with a pico de galo and jalapeño sauce...yum! I had the ravioli with age butter ( initially disappointed ht the ravioli a were a stand in for the usual gnocchi, but it was very good), my husband had the cod with mussels, delicious broth and nice serving... We were too full for dessert but will be back... Hostess and server pleasant and attentive...

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The District is not bad, but it is not great. They seem to be trying to be both a high-end steakhouse and a local bar/hangout. They really need to decide and stick to that formula. What you will get right now is a mix, which leads much to be desired from either scenario. My fiance ordered the filet mignon which was the poorest filet cut I have ever seen. It just looked low quality, but it came with the price tag you would see at an actual steak house with a well cut piece of meat. Disappointing,

1  Thank Stefy S
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Nice place. Clean, hip, and overall good experience. I ordered a few craft beers and I was surprised by there selection. The atmosphere was nice, the waitstaff helpful. Will be back!