“A bit of Bavaria in Portsmouth”
Review of Cafe Vonsolln

Cafe Vonsolln
Ranked #70 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: German
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Who knew you could find German pastries in Portsmouth? Being from a German family and born there myself, I was thrilled to try to plum coffee cake (kuchen) and find it very close to my mothers receipe. If we had had more time, I would have tried many more yummy looking pastries. Definitely worth checking out and authentic.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My family came here with expectations of great German coffee and pastries.The coffee is good but the apple streudel was like Hannaford's:not fresh apples and not streudle dough.I saw the Sacher torte and it looked like chocolate cake,not what I had at the Hotel Sacher in Vienna or other konditorei(pastry shops)in Germany or Austria.Would I come back?Probably not.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

In Portsmouth for a few days and discovered this fantastic little slice of Germany. Having lived in Germany for several years, my family and I miss these little gems. Grab a breakfast sandwich or pastry and a coffee, sit out side and watch the world go by. Great little place, I'll miss it!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I showed up in this coffee house with a bag of beans purchased in another state that had not been ground. The staff was willing to grind the beans for me at no charge. Hopefully this did not get her into trouble, but the gesture was much appreciated.

The coffee here was strong and a bit bitter for my tastes. There were several coffee blends in the store to pick from to drink or for purchase.

This is a store/cafe that takes pride in what they do.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I came across this doing an internet search and we decided to try it. They have German pastries and they are really good.They also roast their own coffee and it is excellent. Highly recommend trying them out.