“Excellent bagels and quick service!!!”

The Works Bakery Cafe
Ranked #51 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The Works to you: humanely-raised, naturally-cured meats and poultry with no antibiotics or added hormones. Local eggs from cage-free chickens. Hormone- and antibiotic-free milk and cream cheese from Vermont family farms. Breakfast and lunch sandwiches and paninis on artisan bread, wraps or traditional boiled-and-baked bagels made with unbleached, unbromated flour. Fresh salads. Hearty, from scratch soups. Fresh-fruit smoothies. Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee. Thoughtfully sourced, local when possible.
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had breakfast here every morning while we were in New Hampshire. We fell in love the very first morning we tried it. Don't be intimidated by the long line. The employees here were so fast and efficient. We had four people and we told the girl taking our order what our order was just once, and within five minutes we all had our food, just the way we wanted it. The bagels were so delicious! Still thinking about them to this day! Yum!

Jennifer F, Front Office Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

truffles17: Thank you so much for your review! I am glad that you had a memorable experience with us! I have shared your review with the employees, so that they know their hard work is paying off! I do hope you can stop by again, or visit some of our other locations in Vermont and Maine! Have a great day! ~Jennifer

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stopped by here for lunch and had a bowl of clam chowder with a piece of sourdough bread. The chowder was delicious and the bread fresh and tasty. This place also serves salads and sandwiches and is a good place in which to have lunch.

globeseeker007: Thank you for your review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your clam chowder, and I am very fond of the fresh-baked sourdough bread myself! I hope you will stop in when you are in the area again! ~Jennifer

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I had the chipotle chicken which was very good. The line is pretty long at lunch, so if you are looking for a quick takeout experience, this isn't perfect. But, if you're not in a rush, it's worth the wait.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

They just changed their name is all. It's very good for bagels - I get them here all the time. I don't go for anything else really, just the bagels and the mixed cream cheeses. They have a lot of choices, and all of them are good (so far... haven't made it through the whole selection yet). The atmosphere is sometimes chaotic (weekends) with people jockeying for tables and not enough places to sit. But sometimes it's really peaceful and you can sit a long time reading and having your bagel and cc. They close EARLY - 5pm, so don't wait till after work to try it out.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I grew up in NY and am very snobbish about bagels. Since leaving NY in 1992 I have never found a bagel that satisfied me, until I discovered The Works. They even have salt bagels, almost unheard of outside of NY...usually the response is "you mean like a pretzel?" I used to pick up a bagel & coffee at The Works at least once a week, often 2 or 3 times a week. However I've pretty much stopped going in because during the off-hours, they are often out of all my preferred flavors and I get stuck with a common everything bagel (which is still a good bagel)...and if you go during peak hours, the line is often INSANE due to the poor staff management...they'll have 5 people making sandwiches quickly but just one girl working the register AND making specialty coffee drinks AND refilling the carafes, so the line will quickly back up since she can't possibly keep up. I've seen the sandwich makers just standing there because nobody can get to them from the line being so backed up, and none of them go help at the register to move things along. I have witnessed this scene many times. It's a real shame, the food is very good and the staff is always friendly, but waiting 15 minutes to pay for a simple bagel with nothing on it is ridiculous.