“Tired rooms but friendly & helpful staff”

Wrens Nest Village Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Walton on Thames
“Tired rooms but friendly & helpful staff”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night in May. Both rooms were clean but needed redecorating and better lighting. Our room smelt of alcohol - perhaps from the bottle of Jack Daniels we discovered in the fridge. Not well sound proofed as we could hear the people above very clearly.
The owner recommended breakfast in Betty's Kitchen, a few minutes along the road and he was right - great place and food. We ate dinner at the Wren's Nest restaurant - food was tasty and owner & chef couldn't have been more welcoming.

It is OK for just a night en route to Portsmouth (we paid $70 per room).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Gilford, NH
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I took my wife to Portsmouth for a couple of days for Mother's Day. Everything was wonderful, except the Wrens Nest! I heard about it from B&B.com. We love authentic b&b's for their charm, friendliness, and home-made breakfasts. This was NONE of that!

First problem - it's NOT a b&b. You can get a simple continental breakfast if you're willing to wait until after 9:30. Second, Ralph Lauren would have been embarrassed to have our room named after him. Old, worn, tacky. It's an old motel from the 1960's. Finally, it's way over priced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank billjohn4

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Freeport, Maine
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed in the Ralph Lauren room last night 1/28/12 and boy can picures be deceiving! The room itself was clean, but the old ratty carpets, drapes, and bedding must have been 100 years old, giving the place a very dirty, dingy appearance. Very disappointing! And "Ralph Lauren"?? Oh my God! There were two very old dingy "Ralph Lauren" throw pillows on the bed and a print on the wall of a girl in riding breeches ! That and a faded picture of a polo player on the coffee cups was about it. Also, we brought our bathing suits because the website said that there was a swimming pool with a jacuzzi and waterfall! Well, the "swimming pool" room which was a separate building was closed down, locked up, and the door jam so rusted it looked like it hadn't been opened in years. Why is it still on their website?! And the worst part was that outside of each room there was a loungechair for sitting and a large standing ashtray because smoking is not allowed inside the rooms. I am not exaggerating when I say that the ashtrays probably had not been emptied in a year. Some of them were so overflowing with cigarette butts that there must have been a hundred or so. Disgusting! Another surprise was that there is no shower in the room. There is a showerhead mounted on the wall of the jacuzzi attached to a long cord so if you want to take a shower you have to stand in the jacuzzi in the middle of your bedroom (where the jacuzzi is) and "shower". One last thing, some reviewers mentioned that if you are on the bottom floor you hear people stomping on the floors in the rooms overhead. Well, we were on the top floor and the people next door to us were up at 3AM having a fight and it sounded like they were in the same room with us. AND, when they walked across the room it was like someone banging a sledgehammer on the floor. This shouting and stomping went on for several hours until finally someone must have complained because someone from the management came up to their room. I understand that rude guests are not the fault of the establishment, but the fact that someone walking and talking (even when they weren't shouting) was so incredibly loud in our room next door was amazing to me! Anyway, we kept a sense of humor about it all, but I just want to warn anyone who plans to stay there that pictures are deceiving!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pam M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed at the Wren's Nest on New Years Eve and I must say for the price, this place is a total DIVE! The $304 that I paid for their basket welcome basket and "jacuzzi" suite were dollars that I will never get back. The "Ralph Lauren Room" consisted of some beat up Ralph Lauren Pillows, an old TV and a tape player. If you are looking for modern ammenities, do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. Additionally, the carpet was stained and really old and the room reeked of something, I cant put my finger on. Do yourself a favor and seek alternate accommodations if you are coming to Portsmouth. This place isnt worth the money.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Megs3482
Albany, New York
Reviewed December 4, 2011

OMG! Not all is it's cracked up to be. We stayed on the first floor heard every foot step upstairs. Room had no hot water when we got up couldn't get anyone in the office till 8:45, office supposed to open at 8:00. Room had a slight musty type smell, cobwebs in the corners and along an odd fluorescent light above the bed. Tops of the 2 chairs in the room were dirty/dusty. We booked this place because of the location and saw the good reviews out weighed the bad, well I advise not staying. I saw no breakfast, manager(?) said there would be cereal set up in the morning. My advice don't stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jat133
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Read the very mixed reviews but went ahead and booked based on a friends recommendation. Stayed in the Isle of Shoals room. Room was lovely, large and spotlessly clean. Hot tub is really only for one person, but we still really enjoyed it. Close to everything. We enjoyed a tour of the Red Hook Brewery and dinner there. All in all a great romantic get away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Wren's Nest was a very nice, quaint place to stay in Portsmouth. We opted for a regular King-sized-bed suite as we were staying only one night. I had been debating between various hotels but when I came upon the site http://bedbugregistry.com/ the other hotels went out the window. The room was a great size and very clean and comfortable, with neat wooden beams across the ceiling. I was surprised that there was no phone book or menus in the room (first time I ever ran into that in a hotel), but was able to get one at the front desk as we always order in on vacation. It was unfortunate that the pool was only open between 4 and 9 p.m., as we got in at 9:15 and would be leaving at 8 a.m. and part of what had attracted me to the Wren's Nest was the indoor heated pool with waterfall. I understand keeping costs down for the off season but it was a disappointment. I was surprised also that there we no kind of vending machines – hardly a big deal but my husband has a habit of wanting a quick snack as soon as we stop before dinner is delivered.
The next morning I learned that the ceiling was thin as my husband complained that the people staying above us were stomping around their room from midnight to 3 a.m. preventing him from sleeping which made for a difficult morning. I sleep like a log no matter what (I've slept through a chainsaw going off 20 feet from me). So I would suggest requesting a second-floor room if possible.
All in all it was a good place to stay and next time I’m in Portsmouth I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay on upper floor if possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple