“Convenient and comfortable”

Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My friend and I were spending a few days shopping in Maine and NH, and the Hampton Inn was a great location. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was okay, not great.
Nice pillows and bedding.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

FrannyGP,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at Hampton Inn Portsmouth. We're glad you and your friend had a nice shopping trip and chose to stay with us. We hope you'll have another opportunity to visit us as we look forward to your return.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night to get out of Boston for the weekend.

Pros:
-The room was clean, especially the beds.
-The lobby is nice, and the breakfast was fine (nothing special).
-The bathroom was updated.
-Good location - it's a straight shot into Portsmouth from here.

Cons:
-There were a bunch of ladybugs in our room.
-We called reception about getting a lightbulb replaced (which ended up not being an issue because I just didn't notice there were 2 switches for the light...,), but were told that "maintenance isn't on the premises right now, so we'll have to see if housekeeping can do it". Where was maintenance??? Glad we didn't have a real issue!
-Our room was on the first floor right next to one of the stairwells. The stairwell door was ridiculously loud - to the point that it woke me up several times during the night. The doors are paper thin and have about a quarter inch of empty space between the door and frame, so much space that we could actually stuff a towel into the space between the two to try to block out the sound. That being said, the towel idea didn't work and we ending up opening the closet door and hanging the comforter from the second bed over the closet door to try to create a sound barrier! When we requested to switch rooms, they said they were all booked so it was impossible. Maybe they should invest in softer closing doors....not ones that slam whenever someone lets it close.

We are generally very amenable people and don't find faults in hotels, but we won't be returning here.

• Stayed: November 2012

Rt72,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Hampton Inn while taking a weekend trip to Portsmouth. We're pleased you liked our clean and comfortable rooms. I apologize for the stairwell door disturbing your quiet stay with us. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, and I'll make sure to speak with our maintenance staff about looking into quieting its closure. We would love to have you stay with us again the next time you plan a getaway to Portsmouth. We hope to serve you better and provide a more positive experience.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Our stay was not entirely what we expected.

For the short time we were at the Hampton Inn a couple weekends ago, the staff were friendly however, we realized that we left two jackets and a scarf behind in the closet of our room and when we called to arrange getting the items back, much to our surprise, our items were not turned in.

The staff assured us that it was their policy to check closets when cleaning the room, they approached the individual who had cleaned the room and they confirmed that they had checked our closet when cleaning our room but claimed there were no items there. Each of the items were explained in detail and the front desk and AGM were going to follow up with housekeeping to resolve this issue but did not return our call or attempt to resolve the issue or find the missing items.

We called 3 times leaving voicemails with the head of housekeeping, the Assistant General Manager and the General Manager to have NO follow up from any of them. In our minds this is not good customer service and it is obvious that the Hampton Inn also has dishonest staff.

Although the hotel is not responsible for personal items, and we failed to remember to take our items from the closet when we left, it would have been appreciated to receive a follow up on this unfortunate occurance or at least attempt to get to the bottom of what happened. We would hate to see this happen to anyone else staying at this hotel.

It is now two weeks since our stay and we are still waiting for a follow up or some gesture, apology or reassurance that they are looking into what happened.

I would not advise staying at this hotel as customer service is not high on their list of priorities and they have now lost the chance of having us as guests at this or any Hampton Inn for that matter. It is unfortunate that they have now lost guests who travel often and not because we have high expectations, but because we appreciate honesty and customer service.

On another note, it is great that they invest a lot in making sure their bedding is clean but could also invest in toilet paper that doesn't remind you of your junior high school.

Room Tip: I would recommed asking to stay in a room or on a floor with an honest housekeeper, one that doesn...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank muchtooursurprise
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear muchtooursurprise:
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Portsmouth. My Executive Housekeeper, Assistant GM & I spoke with you personally regarding the items you may have left in the room. It’s important to us that our staff is trained on returning items left in guest rooms. I receive items on a daily basis from our staff who found left items in a guest room. I regret we were unable to find the items of which you speak of, and I've expressed my concerns with you personally. I assure you, we looked diligently for the items.

Cathi Tingley, General Manager

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is located on a side road that runs in between some strip malls but once you find it, you will be pleasantly surprised. Nice rooms w/sofa, desk, in room frig and microwave. Hospitality hour in the late afternoon that includes beer/wine, popcorn/pretzels and chowder. The night we were there it was corn chowder and really good. They also have FREE onsite laundry room which even includes your detergent. Breakfast is typical, expanded continental but it works. Nice fire place in entry to relax. WONDERFUL front desk staff! Free shuttle to take you downtown and back for a meal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

krwatts,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at Hampton Inn Portsmouth. I'm glad you liked our hospitality hour, especially the corn chowder. It's also nice to hear you enjoyed our wonderful staff. I hope you were able to visit our downtown area and enjoy all that it has to offer. Please plan to come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had the opportunity to stay at this Hampton and were delighted with the proximity to downtown but more importantly the wonderful service from Andrew and Shannon. Andrew gave us lots of suggestions for restaurants and Shannon drove us nd picked us up with the shuttle service. Excellent! Thanks for adding to our pleasure of visiting Portsmouth.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Gloria S,
It's great to hear from you and receive such a wonderful review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and especially liked visiting Portsmouth. I'm glad to hear Andrew and Shannon treated you well and made you feel welcomed. I will make sure to give them a special commendation for their outstanding work. Please come and see us again for another exceptional visit.

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Getting to the hotel is easy and easy to find. It is away from downtown portsmouth but literally a 5min drive away. They also have a shuttle service which is great! Unfortunately when we checked in Matthew didn't even care that we were there. Rushed our check in and gave us such blah answers to everything. Attitude to the max! And wasnt my frist time dealing with him. When i called twice before my trip to ask questions he picked up and was so rude again rushing me off the phone and had such an attitude. But thats just one person. Andrew at night was sweet and truly intrested in my questions. Also Lindsay at the front desk called me after i checked out to let me know i left my house keys in the room. Luckily i was still in the area to get them, but thanks a bunch to the housekeeping staff i was talking to before they cleaned my room. I dont have a namr but she was super nice and had long blonde hair. Breakfast of course witg hampton is always good with enough choices to choose from. Free wifi another plus. Overall great hotel location and price. All staff members except matthew were so amazingly friendly nothing like I have seen before. But seriously get rid of matt GM. He will bring down your scores for real. I will be returning for another stay and recommend this hotel. Thanks a bunch for a great stay! :)

• Stayed: October 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Syoam612,
Thank you for your review. We value your business and appreciate you choosing Hampton Inn Portsmouth. I'm glad you used our shuttle service and thought it was great. I hope it gave you the opportunity to see our great downtown area. I have read your review and will discuss your comments with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Have you ever been to a Hampton Inn that offered free beer from 4:30 - 6:30 and a killer breakfast?? This one does! And they have munchies. In addition, they offer a great shuttle service to Portsmouth's downtown so you don't have to hassle with the parking. Of course on top of all of that, there are the standard clean and comfortable rooms with free wifi that you always find at Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

bbrodie,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to have had you as our guest, and glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed our complimentary Manager's specials as well! Please visit us again soon.