“Lobster Roll”
Review of The Beach Plum

The Beach Plum
Ranked #19 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups
Description: The Beach Plum opened in 1992 at North Hampton state beach as a breakfast and lunch restaurant. The next year, a better location became available just down the street (at it's current location) and it became a take out food and ice cream stand. That original location continues to operate seasonally April - October each year. Based on strong growth in the business at that beach location, a second Beach Plum location was opened at 2800 Lafayette Road (Route 1) in Portsmouth on St Patrick's Day 2011. This Portsmouth location features an expanded menu that includes award winning fried seafood with both indoor and outside deck dining. The Portsmouth Beach Plum was featured on TV Diner in 2012 and Phantom Gourmet in 2011 which named it as a Great 8 restaurant for both it's famous lobster rolls AND fried clams. The Beach Plum is believed to be the only restaurant in New England to be so honored as 1 of the 8 best for BOTH seafood specialties. In December 2015, a new Beach Plum opened at the Brickyard Square Plaza, 24 Calef Highway (Route 125),Epping,NH. That location shares the same menu as this Portsmouth location.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a family place, with paper and plastic-so beware. I was a visitor, so ordered my every 5 year lobster roll. I needed a fork to eat it, and it was fabulous. My husband ordered a quart fried clams(not whole belly) and loved them ALL!

The restroom was quite horrible-plumbing problem!

It is expensive, as well-but Lobster is expensive anyway! I would go back for the lobster.
We went mid afternoon on a Thursday and a local told us not to go there on a weekend, or evenings, as it was jammed!

There are newer reviews for The Beach Plum

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I've lived in the seacoast area most of my life and had yet to try the Beach Plum. Not too long ago, they opened up a sit down restaurant where the old Wendy's was on route 1. Today my wife and I gave it a try.

We heard rave reviews about the lobster roll, so my wife had to order it. I ordered a clam roll. My wife said the lobster roll was very good, although it didn't seem to be overflowing with lobster as it was described to us by friends. The clam roll was also decent, but not as big or as good as some other local places like Petey's. I found the clams deeper fried and a bit oily. We ended the evening getting an ice cream. They had a good range of flavors and the kiddie size was more than enough.

Other positives was it was fast, clean and beer/wine was available and reasonably priced. I see us going back sometime in the next 6 months or so, but not likely sooner.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I've been to the Beach Plum in Portsmouth a number of times and have been very satisfied with the quality of the food, especially the Fried Seafood Dinners. Recently though, I bought 2 bowls of their highly acclaimed Lobster Seafood Chowder for takeout and it was $20+ thrown out the window.
The chowder was so salty (and obviously unhealthy) there was no other flavor that could be distinguished and 2 people fed this terrible concoction to the garbage disposal.
This restaurant definitely slipped a few notches with me personally from this experience as I would now have reservations as to the quality control within their kitchen. It may have been just this one day but nothing this glaringly bad should be allowed to slip through their kitchen to be sold for human consumption.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had heard many mentions of this restaurant but had never been until today. Chances are very slim that I'd return. Their "claim to fame" is the lobster roll, but I decided to try the baked haddock. Portion size: good Quality: dry/tasteless This came with fries (with an odd taste from the oil, I suspect), cole slaw (decent) and a roll (cold, out of a plastic bag). I didn't really expect "gourmet", but with a drink this meal came to over $17 - and is served on paper/plastic. Again, the serving materials didn't matter, but the food was "average" at best.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

my wife got the lobster and it was so full she needed to use a fork to eat it. They have 3 sizes and she gor the small size and she was full