“I look forward to most every summer!”
Review of The Beach Plum

The Beach Plum
Ranked #20 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups
Description: The Beach Plum opened in 1992 at North Hampton state beach as a breakfast and lunch restaurant. The next year, a better location became available just down the street (at it's current location) and it became a take out food and ice cream stand. That original location continues to operate seasonally April - October each year. Based on strong growth in the business at that beach location, a second Beach Plum location was opened at 2800 Lafayette Road (Route 1) in Portsmouth on St Patrick's Day 2011. This Portsmouth location features an expanded menu that includes award winning fried seafood with both indoor and outside deck dining. The Portsmouth Beach Plum was featured on TV Diner in 2012 and Phantom Gourmet in 2011 which named it as a Great 8 restaurant for both it's famous lobster rolls AND fried clams. The Beach Plum is believed to be the only restaurant in New England to be so honored as 1 of the 8 best for BOTH seafood specialties. In December 2015, a new Beach Plum opened at the Brickyard Square Plaza, 24 Calef Highway (Route 125),Epping,NH. That location shares the same menu as this Portsmouth location.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I look forward to most every summer!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Clean, fresh lobster, fast service. I look forward to this place every summer when I visit. The lobster roll is fantastic!

Peabody, Massachusetts
“Advertising really works.”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Have seen the bill boards on route 16 for quite some time now and they made me always want to try this restaurant out. We stumbled upon it and gave it a try. The atmosphere is very open and inviting. Do not be discouraged by the huge menu. Large selection of ice cream (50 plus flavors) and the best fried clams and haddock plate I have had in ages. And... I have eaten fried clams just about every where. Staff were friendly and extremely helpful. You order at the counter and they bring it out to you at your table. The give you a cute little lobster with a number on it and when you select your table there is a holder for you to place the lobster in so the wait staff can find you. Seek this restaurant out you will be very happy you did.

1 Thank tophat411
Jackson, New Hampshire
“Best fried clams and I'm an Ipswich lover!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I usually only eat clams when I can get to Ipswich, MA for fried clams. But I was in the mood for them this evening and The Beach Plum boasted having "wicked good" fried clams. I tried them... and I was so impressed with them that I now will be sure to return next year for another serving. Th batter is crunchy and light and the clams were some of the sweetest I have had the pleasure of eating. The bellies were mostly medium and there were some smaller ones (which happen to be my choice) both the fries and the clams were served in good quantity. My husband had fried haddock and we swapped off and I was able to enjoy both. The restaurant offered a large choice of ice cream too... we'll have to go back for the ice cream as neither my hubby or I had room enough for dessert. Price for all that food and two medium drinks was only $39.95 (so very affordable for fried fresh seafood). The atmosphere was very casual and laid back with covered picnic tables and plastic throw away utensils. You order at the counter and they deliver your food to you when it is ready. Something really unusual... when they deliver the food they ask you if you would like more tarter sauce and we said "yes, please"... well they really are not stingy with the tarter sauce like so many other establishments. They brought out four more. Just an over all fantastic enjoyable meal. They also have a special offer for anyone who has their family take a picture with the wooden lobster and posts it to facebook can win a $50 gift certificate. Take a peek at our entry.

1 Thank vacations4u
Miami, Florida
“Nice Variety, Prices a bit high”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The food was good and the quantity was very good but I thought that the prices were a bit high. The batter they use for the onion rings and the fried clams was very good and light.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank h44c
Moscow, Pennsylvania
“Do not believe all the hype for such a high price”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was unaware that it is frozen lobster meat, but once you bite in, you can definately tell the difference from the sweet, fresh lobster that you get off the docks in Maine. My advice is to wait until you cross the border and get into Maine for an authentic lobster roll, b/c you pay a high price at the Beach Plum for an inferior lobster roll with the fast food ordering atmosphere of your typical McDonalds. For our family of four it was $64 for 2 foot-longs cut in half. I ended up eating more than my share b/c my family members were dissatisfied with the taste and rather than chuck hard earned money, I ate what was left over. Not the best way to start your New England vacation. Tip - Georgetown, Maine.

• Visited June 2013