“Great Food, Better Location”
Review of Surf

Surf
Ranked #2 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were in the tail end of our summer vacation and stopped in Portsmouth for the evening. On the recommendation of our hotel, we went to Surf. While it was already late and the sun was down, seeing the lights on the water made for an entertaining seeing. I had the Shrimp Creole and my wife had the Portobello-stuffed Flounder. Both dishes are very good, and I was surprised to find the Creole had as much spiciness to it and did not need more. I would love to come back and eat here again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The food was good - seafood Portuguese style; generous portion of Tequila; great Martini. The river views from the restaurant are very nice. Negative - Noise level is way too high

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've eaten here three times, which I think is needed for an accurate review for most places.

- Ambiance: wonderful view of the river if your seated by the back windows. Street view ok for people watching. Nicely decorated...kinda hip. Nice bar area. Downside is that it can be very loud when it's busy.

- Food: good, not great, especially for the prices. Great variety on the menu. Fish has been good (again, not great), salads very good, clam chowder poor, deserts average at best.

- Service: good to very good.

Nice place, would recommend people give it a try, especially if you can get a table by the back windows. A bit pricey and food is good but not outstanding.

1  Thank Da-lug
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Surf was only so-so. My meal was not as described on the menu. Fish was so heavily fried I could not eat it. One of our 5 meals was excellent- the horseradish haddock- the others not so great. We had to ask for water refills 4 times.

1  Thank KVes
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I went to Surf with local friends based on their choice. I was very happy! Seafood chowder and the Chorico Mussels appetizer to start a great meal. I had the swordfish steak and it was fantastic. My friends had the Portguese Stew and Fish & Chips and were both very happy. I recommend Surf as a great local place with a good menu and New England seafood.