“Underwhelmed”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The view was fantastic, our table overlooked the river. The service was perfect, even during a busy Restaurant Week. Other than that, I was underwhelmed by the food. The light salad was barely dressed. I was intrigued by the different types of maki on the menu that weren't traditional fish. I had the beef maki and it was a strange unpallatable texture. The ginger ice cream was odd because there were large candy ginger pieces on top that were crunchy. Overall, great service but I wouldn't return for the food.

JohnDD_99, Manager at Surf, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your meal at our Surf Sushi Bar. I would be happy to discuss your experience further if you would like to call the restaurant. We have very high standards for our food and would like to get some feedback.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Wandering the Bow St area nad came across their sidewalk sign- read menu posted in the
window and impulsivleyl decided to go in. What a treat- a window seat overlooking the water; a gracious waitress and a prompt cool drink called Cucumber Breeze. It was Restaurant Week so we tried it- The Shrimp with peanit sauce and sweet potaotes cant be decscribed nor can the Creme Brulele dessert. The Surf salad with a hint of viniagrette followed ny the native Haddock was excellent- first time I have had baked haddock that was not dorwned in butter thus allowing the fish to be the star- very unusual it was served with chive whirled potato and wilted kale leaves!! Definitely a revisit for a special occasion! Oh and be sure to visit the raw bar- we did not- another time!!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband, daughter and I had dinner at Surf, which is located on a charming street in Portsmouth. The food was delicious--even my daughter's vegetarian tacos. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed and the service excellent.

1  Thank Back-in-Bklyn
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Yes, Surf is an amazing seafood restaurant with an amazing view, but they really got me with the gingerbread creme brulee.

We met 4 friends for a special dinner at Surf. The view and service were exceptional, and the food was as well. I had a salmon filet with jasmine rice cake that was amazing. A friend had the surf & turf and practically swooned. And then came dessert which I have already raved about.

I recommend Surf for special occasions, but also for a casual night out.

1  Thank catzen
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Decided to try this restaurant because of a Limelight Deal coupon ($15 for $30). Got the final bill, presented the coupon, and much to our surprise, the new total was only $23 less than the initial bill.
Upon reviewing the charges, we found that an extra item had been added after the discount was calculated. We don't believe the explanation that this was an accidental charge from one of the other five occupied tables in the restaurant. Something fishy going on here! Watch your bill.

JohnDD_99, Manager at Surf, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Very sorry to hear about an extra item being added to your bill. I assume the situation was corrected immediately and you received the correct bill. This was a mistake that should not have happened and is certainly not our practice to defraud our guests. The Limelight deal is a great offer and has introduced a lot of people to our restaurant, many of whom have become regulars.