“Great service, good food”
Review of Surf

Surf
Ranked #2 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Maryland
“Great service, good food”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The lobster is quite tasty, the wine list is decent and the desserts are good. The place was packed on a Friday night and they would not take reservations unless it was a party of 6 or greater. That is a problem, so get there before 6:30.

Our waitress was excellent and really knew the menu. The restaurant is noisy, but I would go back again.

1 Thank ResearcherMD

New Hampshire, USA
“Loud at lunch”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I met some friends at Surf for lunch and a chat. It was immediately clear that the chatting would be minimal - the dining room was very noisy and it was hard to hear each other across the table.
We all thought our food was fine: portions good sized but no terribly interesting or special tastes.
We were very disappointed in the service. The hostess and our waiter acted bothered by any question we asked. We asked the waiter about the specials and he said he would not tell them to us because we were waiting for one more member of our party to arrive. He said he would tell us the specials once our party was complete. Frankly I thought this was ridiculous. Maybe if there was a very long list for him to recite and he was brand new I could understand, but when he finally agreed to tell us the specials in turned out there were exactly two of them. We asked for a plastic cup for the child in our party and were told that the restaurant only had heavy glass goblets. Then a few minutes later the waiter returned with a kids cup, complete with lid and plastic straw, and excitedly said he'd found a whole box of them in the kitchen.
Overall we enjoyed our meal, but I would only recommend this place to people for whom the aura of exclusiveness and expense adds to their dining experience.

maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lobster Kristina”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Had a great table overlooking the water. Both of us had the lobster Kristina. Delicious. Great mussel appetizer. Definitely worth the visit.

Lexington, Massachusetts
“Great Local Seafood, Great View”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We decided to take grandma for a ride up the coast of NH. It was a beautiful fall day and the water and beaches looked peaceful. We needed a place for lunch and really wanted to have a table with a view. Thanks to TA, we found Surf. I thought it would be super busy given the reviews, but we lucked into a great table by the windows. I had 3 local (Massachusetts) oysters. The waitress was able to tell me the order to eat them-which I really appreciate and they were delicious. Grandma had a cup of chowder and though she liked the taste, there were far too many potatoes. My husband had local clams and they were great and a good deal. I had to have the lobster salad roll and true to the menu, it was full of large chunks of fresh lobster (1/4 lbs). I chose the cold slaw and it was bright and fresh. Grandma had a hamburger that was grilled to her liking. It was large and she'll have the rest for tomorrow's lunch. She chose the sweet potato fries and they were very light with no hint of oil. Husband had the Fleuben which is a sandwich with fried flounder, cold slaw, cheese and dressing. He liked it. Unfortunately, grandma can't walk too far so we didn't get to check out Portsmith. It's on our list to investigate now. We'll definitely go back to Surf when we find ourselves in the area.

Rhode Island
“Great location, great food”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

A friend of mine visited Surf on a golfing trip. It was highly recommended by a local that I know well. The location is super. It's right on the water and has fabulous views of the harbor. It's a fish place so we both had oysters and salmon. Excellent! We ate at the bar and the bartender was fun as well as attentive without being overbearing.

The only real negative is that the atmosphere felt a bit like a Bonefish Grill to me. That is, clean, seafood like but a bit sterile.

• Visited October 2012

Been to Surf? Share your experiences!