“Great view, but.....”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Excellent location and views, very nice inside, unfortunately the food is a big disappointment. We had been there before for cocktails and loved it. Decided to go back for lunch to celebrate my husbands birthday. Haddock chowder starter was good but everything went down from there. My husband had the seafood tacos and I had the haddock crepes. Very little fish in anything we had! We were both disappointed in
our meals. Probably won't go back except for cocktails. Shame!

1  Thank goochave
There are newer reviews for Surf

Reviewed March 18, 2012

Ask for a booth with views ! Check the website, as it is only open for lunch on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Open for dinner all week ~ but call and check, reservations are advisable, and arrive early to find parking on the street. Great food and service !

1  Thank Hilary53
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My wife an I visited the Surf Restaurant on Bow St in downtown Portsmouth (on the banks of the Piscataqua River) for her birthday. The restaurant does not take reservations for less than 6 people, but we called about an hour ahead of time and put ourselves on the waiting list (they suggested that when I called earlier in the week to make reservations). When we got there we only waited about 5 minutes to be seated at river-side window seats. The restaurant was very clean and staff was very attentive. We started things out with a cocktail each followed by an appetizer (we shared a fried oyster salad with blood orange vinegrette dressing). When we told the waitress we were going to share the appetizer, she said the kitchen would be glad to put the appetizer on two plates (which they did). The salad was excellent. I also had a cup of Surf Clam chowder which was good but not great. My wife then had the Miso Marinated Salmon which was very good. I tried it and it was indeed very good. I had the Horseradish Crusted Haddock on a potato pancake. The Haddock was okay but I didn't taste much horseradish. I really like horseradish and was disappointed I didn't taste much. It was also a just a little overcooked. The salmon was better. We both had a glass of white wine with dinner. Following dinner, we had coffee and the waitress brought a chocolate dessert (with a candle) for my wife's birthday (I had suggested she pick something small as we don't usually eat dessert). We did not feel rushed and the wait staff was excellent. Our South African Native waitress, Mary, was friendly and made good suggestions. The restaurant has a large bar in the center surrounded by tables with people eating. The bar in the center was quite noisy. Dinner with tax came to a bit over $118 including drinks (tip not included). The rest rooms were very clean and surprizingly in the next building (but not very far). Parking was either on the street or at a very reasonably priced parking garage ($0.75/hr) nearby. I would definitely visit the restaurant again.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

We ate at Surf upon recommendation from where we were staying. We arrived and grabbed a seat at the Raw Bar. Be warned, although the food is excellent, the service is slooowwwww. We finally had to ask someone else to get our waiter when we wanted to order (we had sat there almost 15 min!) He asked if we wanted bread with our appetizer, we said yes, but had to ask for the bread after we were finished with our appetizer. The tuna bruchetta was the hit of the night! We've traveled extensively in the Caribbean, staying at many 5 star hotels and resorts, but you simply cannot beat this Tuna Bruchetta! The Raspberry Flower was a refreshing and light drink if you like a little sparkly drink.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Surf is beautifully designed with large windows and a tiny deck overlooking the water. There's a gorgeous horseshoe bar in the center of the room, cozy booths and tables nestled right up to the windows with fabulous views. The servers are welcoming, well informed and efficient. The food, on the other hand, is average at best. The menu reads well but the follow through just isn't there. After having been here several times I can only highly recommend the raw bar and the cocktails. So maybe just drop in for some drinks and to enjoy the view, if you keep it simple it's fun!