“Try the spudsters” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kitchen

The Kitchen
Ranked #67 of 199 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Try the spudsters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stopped here on our way up to Maine. I got soup and my husband got a burger. My soup was alright, but nothing terribly special. My husband thought his burger was good. I also have to say that I was disappointed that they didn't have diet coke, due to a delivery problem.

As a side, we split an order of spudsters. I have to say that the spusters really made this experience for me... we got them with garlic and parmesan seasoning and a truffle ketchup dip. They were So Good. I think next time I will just just get the spudsters. The menu calls them "gourmet tater tots," but they are crispier and tastier than any tater tots I have ever had. The seasoning and the sauce make them even more special. If you ever go to The Kitchen, try the spudsters.

• Visited July 2012

NH
“Fun and a bit different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been to the Kitchen for lunch a few times, dinner and had lunch delivered to work. The food is delicious every time. I love their creative twist on sandwiches! You must try the little potato delights! Like a grown up tater tot with some parm cheese and seasonings sprinkled on top. The sauces that come with the potatoes are equally delightful. The first time I ordered them I shared.. and learned that the next time I would get them all for myself! Lunch is casual and relaxed. Order at the counter and pick up your food when ready. I went for dinner one night and we had a waitress. It seems more comfortable being casual. But love the Kitchen!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Monkeygirl17
Exeter, New Hampshire
“Homemade and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

These guys are dedicated to homemade food, made the old fashioned way, and creatively. Worth the stop.

Visited September 2011
China
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Ok, this place popped up in the space a former favorite of mine previously occupied. The food is excellent, I went two days in a row for the Mikey burger. When you can eat the burger without any condiments and it is fantastic you know you are eating a good burger. Also have delicious desserts and salads. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank R C
Manchester, NH
“Yummy, Creative Sandwiches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Visited on a rainy day for lunch. The line was almost to the door. This is an "order at the counter and find yourself a seat" type of place. The sandwiches, salads, pastas and burgers are listed on a chalkboard with a variety of daily specials. They also have a small bar area and serve alcohol. When your order is ready, they yell your name. It is self-serve.

We were here for lunch, so this review is only for lunch and non-alcoholic beverages. The place was clean and the atmosphere was nice with small and large tables and ordinary chairs. The big front windows let in a lot of light and they have an outside seating area that looks nice with a fence providing a barrier to the street traffic.

My companion ordered a Cuban sandwich, but they were out and he ended up choosing a gorgeous italian type of sub on great crusty bread. I ordered a special, which was a meatload sandwich with shiitake mushrooms and a soy based sauce, however they called me back after realizing they had run out. I felt the pressure to decide quickly and chose a BLT. Both sandwiches were served with a side of fresh crunchy coleslaw and a pickle spear. The sandwiches are about $7-10. A little pricey, but high quality.

All ingredients are top notch, fresh and extremely high quality and creative. The breads are amazing. My only complaint, other than them being out of what we originally wanted, is that the coleslaw is placed directly on the dish with the sandwich, so one of my sandwich halves was soggy on the bottom. NOT COOL. That's the reason they lost one star.

Another person near us had a generous bowl of pasta with vegetables and a creamy sauce. It looked and smelled terrific. Other types of cold salads were in the case, including a nice looking Orzo salad. Another item that made me curious was the Buffalo Pickles, but I didn't have the courage to try one. I can't imagine what a Buffalo Pickle tastes like.

If they get the cole slaw in it's own container and fix the inventory issues, I could see myself frequenting this place much more often. Overall, two thumbs up.

• Visited September 2011