“Not Quite What I Expected”

The Roundabout Diner & Lounge
Ranked #12 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Description: At the Roundabout Diner and Lounge, we serve breakfast all day, great burgers and sandwiches, Phantom Gourmet award-winning BBQ, comfort food classics like meatloaf, roast turkey, and of course, local New England favorites like fish and chips, and the best lobster roll around. We also use locally sourced ingredients wherever possible, like bread baked just for us by When Pigs Fly Bakery, breakfast sausage made for us in Vermont, local cheeses, and more. And we make all our delicious cakes and pies right here at the Roundabout. From scratch! If you would like us to cater one of your events then look no further than Chill Catering, one of the largest catering companies on the seacoast.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Not a bad place to eat but nothing special. We went for drinks and dinner. There was a special on drinks in the lounge but we couldn't be seated in the lounge because of a function taking place and we were charged full price for drinks. The food was "OK" but not great. We were staying at the hotel next door but didn't go back for breakfast.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We live in Northern Ma and make the drive to the Roundabout Diner once a month to have the best breakfast ever!!! I even cheat and have a slice of pie at breakfast. YUMMY! Service is great and the food is always, consistently delicious!! Three thumbs up!!The Perris' of Massachusettes.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Roundabout Restaurant is very conveniently located in the Portsmouth Circle. A true repro. of a 50's style diner and lots of homey menu choices + great bbq [think of the old Muddy River]. The service is friendly and the portions are Large! Love the waffle fries, the fried pickles And a favorite is the Reuben Sandwich - enough for 2! Appetizers are plentiful and can feed a crowd.
Don't hesitate to go there - you'll not be disappointed!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We walked here from the hotel next door for breakfast on a Sunday morning. There was only about a ten minute wait for a table, and they even had a bloody mary bar while you waited. The place is decorated like an old 50's diner and the food is delicious! I got the Western Omelet and it was the best I have ever had. The coffee was great and so were the pancakes. Great place!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Before going to this diner, check out their website which includes menu and reviews. If you are looking for a blast from the past you may be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the food is very good and the portions are quite large; The food is prepared by hand but with a more modern flare. The decor does resemble a restaurant from the 50s and 60s.
I had the chicken pot pie. The crust was flaky and fresh and it was stocked with vegetables and chicken. However, it was not the pie from my childhood. It could have used a thicker sauce, more chicken and less herbs and pearl onions. My mother had the lobster macaroni and cheese, and said that there was a decent amount of lobster (She got one claw and some smaller pieces) but the truffle oil overpowered the flavor of the four cheeses. My sister had the pulled pork which looked a bit dry but was moist and flavorful. We all got doggy bags and were too full to think about dessert. They also have a Sunday all you can eat brunch which we checked out but decided against as it looked tired by the time we got there at lunchtime.
All in all, I think this is a place designed to look like a diner but with a modern take on the food. If you are looking for something more authentic, I highly recommend the Agawam Diner on Route 1 in Ipswich MA. Their chicken pie is to die for but if you go, bring cash.