“Very nice diner and very busy”

The Roundabout Diner & Lounge
Ranked #8 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Diner, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At the Roundabout Diner and Lounge, we serve breakfast all day, great burgers and sandwiches, Phantom Gourmet award-winning BBQ, comfort food classics like meatloaf, roast turkey, and of course, local New England favorites like fish and chips, and the best lobster roll around. We also use locally sourced ingredients wherever possible, like bread baked just for us by When Pigs Fly Bakery, breakfast sausage made for us in Vermont, local cheeses, and more. And we make all our delicious cakes and pies right here at the Roundabout. From scratch! If you would like us to cater one of your events then look no further than Chill Catering, one of the largest catering companies on the seacoast.
Litchfield, Connecticut
“Very nice diner and very busy”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Went to this diner and the food was very good. Very busy and tough location if you don't like rotary's but food was good and very much like a diner! We will go back.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank marianneas

Dover
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am not a foodee. I work in the service industry. This is my very short assesment. I hope that the owner/owners take it as a learning opportunity...walked in at 10:30pm on a Saturday nigt and waited 1 minute while 2 servers swept and wiped tables. Neither of those 2 servers (only 10 feet away) sat us, a 3rd. server came out of kitchen and took us to a table...that was dirty...then took us to another table...that was dirty. She then took us to the overflow room near the bar to seat us. We waited 4 minutes for the bartender to come over. Friendly enough but not enough to make me feel welcome. Did not ask if I had been there before nor ever ask me if I wanted to sign up for their reward program. Our order came in a timely fashion. We were not checked back on ever. Had to call out to another server to bring us 2 waters since our drinks were empty. Check was cashed out quickly. As we walked out of the room we were seated in 2 mangers (plain clothing, talking sidework) let us walk by and did not say thank you for coming, good bye, or even look at us. Again, I am in the service industry and the Roundabout failed on so many pivotal moments of impact that I will not be back. I work too hard everyday to achieve good guest satisfaction and when I go out to eat I at least would like the basics applied to my dining experience.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank ChrissyRDover
Greenland, New Hampshire
“need customer service training”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

took my wife, her sister and their mother to lunch. The hostess tried to seat us in a booth by the entrance door on a windy and cold day. Their mother is over 80 years old and what hostess would seat parties so they are cold while seated for a meal. Next we had a waitress who brought us our drinks seated another party brought their drinks and then took their order before ours. Then when we received our meals the Reuben had bread burned on both sides, the french fries with the club were fried in old fat, the home fries with the western omlet were luke warm and the medium hamburger ordered was medium rare. The waitress never checked on us and took even longer when we asked for the bill. We all had a long day with a nursing home relative and were not in the mood to complain. WHERE HAS CUSTOMER SERVICE GONE

• Visited April 2013
North Hampton, New Hampshire
“Was good once upon a time...”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We used to frequent the roundabout for the unique choices and excellent dessert. The few times I went the service and food has gone way down. We went on St. Patricks and was told by our waitress there wasn't corned beef or boiled dinner. What?! Facebook and email had advertised both. We stayed regardless and our waitress was extremely absent, no drink refills.

Food was ok but we were very disappointed. The worst part is I get home to see on Facebook again, "corned beef today!"

Either way we won't be returning or using the inconsistent Chill Catering services.

Chris S, Manager at The Roundabout Diner & Lounge, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your experience here at Roundabout Diner. It is very important to us that we continue to prove great food and great service. If you would be willing to call and discuss the wait service during your visit, it would be much appreciated. This way, I could learn who your server was and correct the problem directly. Regarding the boiled dinner, we did have it available on our buffet as we advertised on our Facebook page and via email. I went back and checked our postings on that day just to make sure. If you'd like, please call or email. I will send you a gift card for two boiled dinners and make sure we have it on our specials menu on a day of your choice.

Chris Soucy
Manager
(603) 431-1440
Belchertown
“Great food!!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The diner is attached to the Best Western Hotel and is a great find. The meals are awesome, the place was visited by the phantom gourmet. I got the pulled pork platter which included included baked beans and coleslaw and a huge piece of grilled corn bread. The portions were huge and hot!! The waitress was friendly and enjoyed working there. Price was typical of a 50's type diner, reasonable, plus if you stay at the Best Western you can get unlimited 10% off coupons for breakfast, lunch and dinner. True gem of a place!!

• Visited March 2013