“Fantastic Mexican food that I will definitely have again”

Agave Mexican Bistro Dos
Ranked #60 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I don't often give five stars to any restaurant, but I have to say that the meals that I and my date had were both fabulous, and the mixed drinks not far behind. This is authentic Mexican food that is out of this world. I chose the Carnitas (pulled pork), which were well-spiced and incredibly flavorful, with the pork being the right level of moistness and well cooked. My date raved about the Carne Asada. We both had the jalapeno margaritas which are every bit as good as we had read about. While it is a bit pricey, it's worth every penny

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our family came in between lunch and dinner and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of service and choices on the menu.The halibut ceviche was very good. They were able to work with us to find children's options. Restaurant furniture was comfortable too.We sat in the front room with open air to the street. It was really a nice experience overall

Reviewed September 1, 2013

What a disappointment!!!! Yes, the chile relleno was very good, carnitas good BUT the rest bad! Rice tasted like fish... I told the waiter and while he insisted it was made with chicken broth my husband who doesnot speak English continued to say... This is good it has fish in it!!!! My son's tostada was a clump of shredded beef with a clump of shredded lettuce that was impossible to eat and flavor bad! By the time the waiter asked if everything was ok.... My son had filled up with chips and salsa and half my husband's carnitas. Expensive when one plate of 16 dollars was left untouched!!! I have lived in Mexico and have eaten in many Mexican restaurants all over the world... This one was a real disappointment!!!!!

3  Thank DebItaly
Jason M, General Manager at Agave Mexican Bistro Dos, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Reviewer:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our restaurant and its offerings. While we strive to provide the most authentic and high-quality Mexican cuisine possible, we understand that from time to time some guests will be less than satisfied. The owner of our small, independent establishment grew up in Southern California, and when she moved to New England several years back, she found she often missed the Mexican cuisine she had grown up enjoying. When she had the opportunity to open Agave Mexican Bistro, she hired a chef from Mexico City to help her create a comprehensive sampling of Mexican cuisine, using the freshest and most authentic ingredients possible. We're sorry you were less than satisfied! It's our goal to exceed the expectations of every guest who comes through our door. Hopefully the next time you visit, you'll give us another opportunity to "wow" you, perhaps with alternative selections from our menu.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We had the margaritas ....very good! I had mariscos del caribe.... -shrimp & scallops with mango salsa..... delicious it was delicious & my husband had the chili releno - chicken & cheese stuffed pablano pepper..... Very tasty! & generous portions! I definitely recommend Agave when visiting Portsmouth NH.

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

A lot of places in the states say they have mexican food but it is often cheap imitations. Not this place. It is the real deal when it come to authentic mexican cuisine. The mole is fantastic and they know how to make a real chile reeneo. A must try when you are in town.