“Best duck I've had”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mombo

Mombo
Ranked #30 of 201 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Court Street
Description: Opened in the Spring of 2010, Mombo’s dining experience is a short vacation from it all offering creative cuisine with international influences, warm hospitality and unparalleled service in a historic Portsmouth, NH landmark. Walk under the wood-beamed ceiling and wrought-iron chandeliers to feel the relaxed elegance of the space. Sit in the fireplace lounge, at the open kitchen bar, in one of the comfy banquettes or even next to the bubbling fountain in the rear courtyard to enjoy the delightful made-from-scratch dishes using fresh, local and honest ingredients. Whether it is the chef’s charcuterie platter, the seared fois gras or our signature lobster bisque that you start your meal with, we want to make you feel as if you have escaped from everyday stresses and leave wanting to come on vacation again at Mombo.
Ashburn, Virginia
“Best duck I've had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Went here with my wife and had an excellent time. I had the pistachio crusted duck and it was unbelievable. Our server was extremely friendly and attentive. I can't wait to go back.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Perfect for a special occasion meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I celebrated 6 months together at Mombo and it was perfect. The hostess took our jackets and sat us at a table for two next to the fireplace. We wanted to take our time with the meal and our server wasn't impatient with us at all. She knew the cocktails we requested and immediately asked if we preferred a certain kind of bourbon - I was really impressed.

When our cocktails came, we ordered an appetizer and we were served bread with dipping oils and homemade specialty butter. We had the confit duck drumsticks to start and they were amazing. The duck meat was supple - it came right off the bone - and the accompanying salad was delicious.

For dinner I had the lamb lollipops and my boyfriend had the buffalo short rib. They were both cooked perfectly! The way his short rib came off the bone was unbelievable. The spice rub was just hot enough. The garlic polenta fries that came with it were amazing - he even asked the server for the recipe! My lamb was quite tasty and the quinoa risotto with wild mushrooms was the perfect compliment.

We didn't save room for dessert but they all looked amazing! I would absolutely go back but the prices are a bit out of our range for anything but a special occasion meal.

• Visited December 2013
Cheshire,Ct
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Excellent food. Chef is very creative and welcoming. Would highly recommend. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank ctgirlCheshireCt
Boston
“My Top Dish List Has a New Addition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

The charcuterie board my wife and I shared was truly outstanding. Not just pieces of meat and cheese artful arranged, but true culinary creations. A ground up mound of turkey, some marinated vegetables strips, another pile of prepared ham, and more ... doesn't sound that great, but it is. Presentation ... beautiful. Flavors ... intense and pleasant. We've had charcuterie is some of the best restaurants in Boston ... none matched this.

The interior of the restaurant is quite attractive ... kind of rustic romantic. Service was prompt and pleasant. My wife raved about her hanger steak. The chicken 3 ways I orders had another memorable element ... the chicken "sausage" patty. It was a wow!

As a committed wine-o, I must point out that although there were some very good wines on their list, the markups were way too very high ... disappointing.

Prices are not cheap, but not high either. In Boston, similar quality for food and environment would cost at least 50% more ... and the wines would have been even more overpriced!

• Visited December 2013
Maine/New York
“Their goal is to make you happy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

The place is welcoming with a long bar. The tables are set apart, and the staff aims to please. First, I must say that I added wrong on the credit card. They found my mistake. How honest. They easily could have added another $10 tip but didn't. We went during Restaurant Week but ordered off the regular menu. Because they were busy, the food wasn't hot enough for us. When told, they offered us a free coffee with liquor. What a nice thing to do. My husband felt his main portion was on the small side. When the waitress asked if everything was ok, my husband mentioned he was disappointed with the portion. They brought him another portion at no charge! Yes, we are tough customers, but Mombo rose to the occasion. The food, by the way, was quite delicious. I especially loved the soup and the cheese plate.

• Visited November 2013