“Amazing!”
Review of Mombo

Mombo
Ranked #44 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Court Street
Description: Opened in the Spring of 2010, Mombo’s dining experience is a short vacation from it all offering creative cuisine with international influences, warm hospitality and unparalleled service in a historic Portsmouth, NH landmark. Walk under the wood-beamed ceiling and wrought-iron chandeliers to feel the relaxed elegance of the space. Sit in the fireplace lounge, at the open kitchen bar, in one of the comfy banquettes or even next to the bubbling fountain in the rear courtyard to enjoy the delightful made-from-scratch dishes using fresh, local and honest ingredients. Whether it is the chef’s charcuterie platter, the seared fois gras or our signature lobster bisque that you start your meal with, we want to make you feel as if you have escaped from everyday stresses and leave wanting to come on vacation again at Mombo.
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This could have been the best meal we ever had at a restaurant. We stopped for the night in Portsmouth on the way to Maine and I had made reservations at mombo for my husband's birthday sight unseen. We walked in and the place is adorable. He ordered the lobster bisque and I had the spinach and artichoke ravioli app. We both loved this appetizer! Our dinners were also very delicious. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and even made recommendations to us for our Acadia trip. Lastly it was very cute that a woman came over to us and told us her son is the chef and told us how proud she is of him!

There are newer reviews for Mombo

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Recently two friends and I decided to dine at Mombo. I had heard both the food and the service were excellent, but even that adjective doesn't describe how wonderful our meals and the service were. You see our waitress and the events coordinator, Casey, worked miracles for us. At our table was a vegetarian, one gluten and dairy free patron and one gluten, dairy and shell fish free patron. Talk about a nightmare for the chef. However, Casey explained that the Mombo chef works diligently to meet all food constraints and that they did. We each had questions and between our very polite waitress and Casey, each and every question was answered and the food prepared to our exact needs. Best of all this was done cheerfully. Our meal presentation was beautiful and so very flavorful. Thank you so much Mambo and staff for serving us unbelievably wonderful dinners. We will certainly dine at Mambo again soon. Joanie Brunette

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Excellent atmosphere. Nice wooden bar with great service. Scallops were excellent quality with a wonderful sauce.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

It had been a while since I gave this rating to a restaurant. Our meal was fantastic from begining to end. This restaurant will stay on my list as one of the top ones. Taste, texture (did you ever experiment water melon with feta cheez -sparkling in you mouth - yes, sparkling!?!), presentation, originality, ... everything was outstanding.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I were on our way to another restaurant when a torrential downpour hit. Luckily, we were right in front of Mombo. While we didn't have reservations, they sat us as the "chef's bar" where you can watch some of the food being prepared. This did not take away from our dining experience.

I had the duck which was delicious and my husband had a frisee salad that actually had french toast with and egg and was a full meal. The wine we had was excellent as was their special mudslide creme brulee.

The service was great too, hostess very friendly and waiter very professional and knowledgable.