“A Place worth trying” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mombo

Mombo
Ranked #33 of 199 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Court Street
Description: Opened in the Spring of 2010, Mombo’s dining experience is a short vacation from it all offering creative cuisine with international influences, warm hospitality and unparalleled service in a historic Portsmouth, NH landmark. Walk under the wood-beamed ceiling and wrought-iron chandeliers to feel the relaxed elegance of the space. Sit in the fireplace lounge, at the open kitchen bar, in one of the comfy banquettes or even next to the bubbling fountain in the rear courtyard to enjoy the delightful made-from-scratch dishes using fresh, local and honest ingredients. Whether it is the chef’s charcuterie platter, the seared fois gras or our signature lobster bisque that you start your meal with, we want to make you feel as if you have escaped from everyday stresses and leave wanting to come on vacation again at Mombo.
Maine
“A Place worth trying”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Portsmouth is old town with numerous buildings dating back to the 1800's. And then there is the Strawberry Banke section where Mombo is located. This area dates back to the 1630's. Mombo is at the entrance to the Strawberry Banke Museum (an area of buildings) and across from Prescott Park. So across the street are beautiful gardens and areas where you can walk along the riverfront. Mombo is in a building that looks like an old house. The inside has old exposed wooden beams and a lot of character. A bar and dining on the first floor and a second floor for dining that is like a balcony over the bar. Mombo has won "Taste" awards for the last two years in a row. There is a parking lot adjacent to the restaurant.

We went there as part of "Restaurant Week". Portsmouth has these in the spring and fall as a way to bring in new customers to the restaurants. There are about 20 restaurants that participate. Each place will have a special menu for $30 per person. Mombo had a choice of three appetizers, three entrees and three desserts. Their Restaurant Week menu did not have items that were on their normal menu - this is why I only gave it a four rating. We would need to go back and have their normal menu items. Also, because of "Restaurant Week", it was difficult to tell if they were on their best behavior just for this week.

My wife started with the asparagus and watercress soup (with a spiral of morel Mushroom cream on top) and I had the crab pierogi (a single semi-circle of dough containing crab that was deep fried) with a side of pea shoot salad. We both enjoyed our dishes. For entrees, my wife had the espresso bean crusted steak and I had the Pork 2-Way (crispy pork belly and glazed pork ribs). My wife's steak was undercooked (not medium as requested but closer to rare) and it was hard to identify that espresso bean added anything to the dish. The Pork 2-way was delicious. For dessert, my wife had the lemon curd with blueberry compote (very good) and I had the milk chocolate mousse. The milk chocolate mousse was a half of a ball with banana pudding on the bottom and it also had a small pot of chocolate ganache for pouring over it. It was good but I could not get much banana flavor. However, to be fair, I had been fighting a cold so my taste buds weren't at their best. But chocolate ganache can make a sneaker taste good.

Their were also two drink specials. One was unusual but I can't remember the name of it (and not because I had that many). The waitress told us it was a concoction that their bartender came up with for a competition. I would have to say the bartender has talent because we both enjoyed it.

Our waitress was excellent (Laiken). She was very personable and knowledgeable and could explain everything on the menu. Probably the best we have had in a while. The floor manager was also very attentive. Even the hostess who checked our coats was very welcoming and refused a tip. Keep in mind, this was Restaurant Week. We enjoyed Mombo very much and look forward to returning. As the weather gets warmer, I would not try to go there without a reservation.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank neutronMaine

Kittery, Maine
“Creative food presentation, but uneven rating.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

First experience here during restaurant week. The restaurant itself is charming, service great, but food is average to very good, depending on the food. We both had the Crab cake Pierogies but there was only one and the pastry was chewy, side of pea salad and dressing were great. Both had the Espresso Bean crusted steak, cooked perfectly, but the twice roasted potato was chewy with an interesting filling of swiss chard and goat cheese. Dessert was one Milk chocolate mousse and one Lemon curd, both very nice.
The chef is trying new pairings, some work and some don't.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
“If I could I would give it three thumbs up!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

What a memorable meal we had last night at Mombo!

The atmosphere is very charming, the service was outstanding and the food ...... oh the food! I'll say this .... it is VERY obvious that the extremely creative and talented chef clearly takes great pride in his craft! The combination of unique flavors, the presentation, all of it was exceptional! Even the bread offerings were over the moon - YUM!

I can't recommend this restaurant enough if you are looking for a delicious gourmet meal that you will find yourself thinking about long after you have left the restaurant. Yes it was THAT good!

Visited March 2013
Maine
“Best birthday ever ... great for party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband arranged a surprise dinner for me and invited some of my dear friends. They were there when we arrived, in a somewhat hidden upstairs loft. When we went up to be seated I was quite surprised indeed. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the range of appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts ordered. I took a few photos of the dinners ordered. The staff was very nice, and attentive throughout the evening. I would highly recommend this. Gourmet dining, yet approachable.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Maine_Light_Sleeper
Leominster, Massachusetts, United States
“delectable food, amazing atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We went to Mombo during our stay in Portsmouth on our one-year wedding anniversary and we were very pleased with the whole package. The atmosphere is very fitting for Portsmouth, set in an old colonial building with classic wood architecture. With seating both upstairs and downstairs, there is a plenty of space. The food was absolutely excellent. Each course was better than the last and the service was impeccable.

• Visited September 2012