“Almost Perfect”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Newton, Massachusetts
“Almost Perfect”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

To begin with, the staff was very accommodating. We had to cancel on the day of arrival & were able to re-book without any penalty. When we arrived a few days later we were given a suite on the side of the building where construction was going on, which meant there was some noise, & we were immediately able to move to the other side of the building. Every other interaction with the staff was equally amiable. The room itself was spacious & clean with plenty of amenities--loved all the available & accessible outlets. Full-sized refrigerator & stove as well as microwave gave us plenty of dining options. The hotel's breakfast was bounteous & tasty, a big plus, & served in an attractive space. Location couldn't be better for walking in a city full of places to walk to. One of the restaurants we went to was literally visible from our room. Only (& highly personal) quirk: the walk-in shower, doorless & sporting a glass so transparent you might actually walk into it, could use a bit of grisaille. And then, after 5 miles & more of walking, I'd have loved to sink into a warm bath. Not exactly a serpent in the garden, but a small detail that keeps this review from being even more enthusiastic. Oh, & I should mention the $18 a night valet parking fee, though that seems standard in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chetf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
New Hampshire
Reviewed February 3, 2014

What a great place! Four college friends and I had two adjoining suites, which was PERFECT. The beds were comfortable, as were the couches (where we spent plenty of time reminiscing). The kitchens were just right to store all our snacks and beverages (we are in our 40s - we didn't trash the place, but it was Super Bowl weekend, after all...). The staff - from the valet for our cars, the people at the front desk and the people helping in the kitchen - were extremely friendly and helpful and seemed to embrace our energy. We all would highly recommend staying here.

Green Features: One of us literally saves whales for a living, and was pleased with the recycling trash cans in the room and how - as requested - we could reuse all our linens.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Lisa,

Thank you for your recent stay with us over Super Bowl weekend. I'm happy to hear that our staff and amenities provided you and your friends with everything you needed to have an excellent experience. We appreciate your feedback and your recommendation to the TripAdvisor community. Come back and visit us again soon!

Indianapolis
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel at least half a dozen times, and my customer experience is always first rate. The front desk staff always makes me feel welcome (they remember my name, and have left welcome notes in my room) and I look forward to seeing them when I return. A special recommendation to Heather Fournier (Front Desk Supervisor) who demostrates the best in guess relations, friendliness and professionalism. There are three similar hotels in downtown Portsmouth, but this is the one that earns my business.

Green Features: This hotel is extremely environmentally friendly. They have signage around the hotel to explain the measures that they take, yet it does not in any way impact the overall guest experience.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for your return patronage and for reviewing our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you consistently experience great customer service while staying with us. I will pass your compliments along to the team; we appreciate the feedback. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to hosting your next stay in Portsmouth.

Chris Moulton, GM
Modesto, California
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My family and I have stayed at the Residence Inn twice in the past 30 days. As seasoned travelers, I have never had better experiences. The facility is clean and very well-maintained, and the food for breakfast and select evenings is superb. The staff is outstanding - everyone from top management down are friendly, courteous and always willing to help. There are many individuals who are "making a difference", and two in particular have gone over the top to assist. Special thanks and kudos go out to Heather Fournier and Amanda Troup. They are the bomb!!!!
There are many others (some names I don't remember) but Francesca, Carly, Marija, Megan and Kayla who are also great.....
We would stay here any time we come back to the East Coast.
Thanks again to them all.....
Dave Young

Room Tip: Looking towards the NH-Maine bridge
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dave,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing a review of your experience. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed not only our hotel, but our friendly staff as well. We appreciate the feedback and I'll be sure to share your compliments with the team. Thank you for recommending us to the TripAdvisor community and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Portsmouth.

Chris Moulton, GM
Raymond, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in November 2012 for our daughter's wedding. Our group reserved 40 rooms in the hotel- some folks stayed as long as a week. Everyone had nothing but high praise for all aspects of their staff. The staff was wonderful to work with during the planning process and very adaptable as many guests had to make last minute changes to their reservations due to travel delays due to Hurricane Sandy. The staff was friendly, courteous and committed to making our family and all of our guests have a memorable visit to Portsmouth. Of particular note were the quality of the accommodations, the fabulous breakfast, the bar and front desk staff and the pool. If you are planning a special event in downtown Portsmouth or a visit to the city definitely visit the Residence Inn.

Room Tip: The corner suites are a little larger and great if more than two people staying in the suite.
Green Features: A green hotel from design through operating practices.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and with the TripAdvisor community. It's never too late to tell us about your stay! I'm pleased to hear that you and the other guests of your daughter's wedding enjoyed your time at our hotel. Thank you for your feedback and I will pass your compliments along to the staff. I hope you'll stay with us again the next time you're in Portsmouth.

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We went to this hotel on December 30th, 2013 with our 2 young boys. Our first impression was very positive. The hotel is very beautiful and nicely located. It was our first time in Portsmouth and we were really impressed with the place. The staff was top notch and super friendly.

When we got to our room, we thought it was spacious and very nice! The problems started when it was time for bed. We had driven 8 hours during the day and the boys were tired so we all went to bed early. About 30 minutes after we were in bed, we started hearing a dog barking and people running in the hallway on the floor above us. I have no idea if the were playing with the dog or if the dog was hearing the people run so it was barking but I decided to call the front desk to advise them of the situation. It calmed down afterwards but my wife and I were discussing that we never hear noises like this at other hotels. During the night, we didn't sleep very well. We could hear the people in the room next to or above us walking around, taking their shower, flushing the toilet, etc. It was also raining that night so I could hear water from the gutter hitting the metal casing of the AC outside. For a new hotel, it is inexcusable to not have better soundproofing. Having hardwood floors doesn't help.

Portsmouth is a beautiful spot that I would visit again but I would not stay at this hotel. The staff and location are great but the noise issue is a deal breaker for us.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor or else you'll hear the people above you.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Locksley44
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
First of all, I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I understand the importance of a good night's sleep and I'm sorry to hear that noise disturbances kept you up. I will look into the problems you described and I thank you for your helpful feedback.

NH
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Nice is the key word here. Everyone we encountered was so nice, from the front desk, to the cleaning people, to the breakfast attendants! Every single person was friendly and nice! This was so welcome! The hotel is very nice and very clean. The suite style rooms are clean, stylish and have everything you need. The free breakfast was abundant with so many options! The location of this hotel cannot be beat! You can walk anywhere in downtown Portsmouth. There are shops and delicious restaurants around every corner. Your toughest deicion? Where to eat!
We have stayed here twice within the past year and have been very happy with both stays!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monkeygirl17
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, abundant breakfast, and clean facilities. More importantly, I'm glad you found every member of our staff to be friendly and helpful. I'll pass your compliments along to the team; we appreciate the feedback! Thank you for your return patronage and we hope you'll visit us again.