“Disappointing”

Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am very torn between giving a two or three point rating. I stayed for 6 nights in April. Location was great; within walking distance of all the excitement of Market Street. Check in went smoothly with a friendly smile and a delicious cookie. I got to my room and was immediately impressed with the size and kitchen. Looking down at the hardwood floors I immediately knew that it was going to be a noisy stay. Hardwood floors are never a good idea in hotels. Sure enough, it sounded as if elephants were staying above me. Well the noise wasn't what kept me up. It was the bed! I cannot describe the pain I was in from one night of sleeping on that rock of a mattress. I ended up sleeping on the couch most nights.

Here's where things went downhill for me...my room was not cleaned for the last three nights I was there. After the second night I saw my room untouched I called the front desk to have some amenities replenished and trash picked up. They of course apologized and assured me they would speak to their Housekeeping management. On my last night, after a long day of visiting family and friends I get back to my room only to find my room still not made up. I called down and spoke with the front desk who apologized yet again and promised me they would speak with their manager and call me back. The front desk clerk called back to tell me that she spoke to her manager who told her they couldn't do anything for me because I booked with a certain online travel site but she was sending me up some snacks and a bottles of water. I'll be honest, I felt rather insulted by this. It made me feel like they saw me as a second rate guest because I booked with a travel site. Besides, snacks and water were of little use to me when I would be checking out in a matter of five hours to fly home.

Upon arriving home, instead of writing a review here about my experience, I felt instead it more constructive in writing direct to the hotel's management team. I received a canned response saying they would send my comments to the Residence Inn management team and I would be contacted within 3-5 business days. Of course, this was over two weeks ago and I have yet to hear back from anyone.

With family in the area, I plan on visiting Portsmouth at least once a year and I am sorry to say, this hotel will not be on my list of places to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Nicole B
Chris M, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Good Morning Nicole B,
Thank you for your recent review. I want to personally apologize for the issues you encountered with your room not being serviced and the discomfort you received while sleeping in one of our beds. Our mattresses are fairly new, however we are constantly monitoring them for any issues that may arise with them which may prevent our guests from receiving a good nights sleep. Also, there are no excuses for your room not being serviced and we have already addressed this with our housekeeping team. Once again I want to apologize on behalf of the entire Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown Team.
The above issues are unacceptable and I was hoping to speak to you personally regarding them. If you wouldn't mind calling or emailing me at your earliest convenience, I would be more than happy to make this right.
Thank you again Nicole and I look forward to hearing from you.
Chris Moulton
603.422.9200
cmoulton@colwenhotels.com

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is a great hotel. Wonderful location in middle of Portsmouth. The rooms are really chic looking. I have never thought that about a hotel before. The property is just three years old so everything looks really good. The staff s very friendly. Restaurants are in walking distance. The showers are enormous and breakfast s free. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cocoWestchester_NY
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I had a great experience at this hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful and the location is great. We could walk everywhere from the hotel.
We will be back the next time we are in the area. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here with both our daughters, their spouses and our grandchildren (6,7 and 8 yrs. old). The location is perfect for families--almost all the sights and restaurants are walkable. The staff is VERY attentive and the rooms are comfortable. All our rooms were on the 4th and 5th floors and we had no trouble sleeping.

Room Tip: because there is a new hotel being constructed on the north side, you may want a room on the south s...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pros:

Very clean, very well laid out. Kitchen well-equipped. Good sitting area. TV swung around so you could watch from the couch or in bed. It was big enough for 2 of us. Not sure how it would handle a family.

Within walking distance of a number of restaurants. Safe walking area.

Personnel at the hotel were friendly and helpful.

Cons:

Parking. Seems to be by valet only. (We parked elsewhere.)

The A/C seemed a little noisy, but it was a cool weekend, so we didn't have it on long.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just spent a girls' weekend in Portsmouth. Had a one bedroom, which slept three of us comfortably (king bed plus pull-out). Nicely decorated, large bathroom, spacious bedroom and living area. Great lounge area and really great breakfast - extensive hot and cold buffet, including bacon and eggs, yogurt, granola, oatmeal, fresh fruit, plus a waffle bar! Coffee and tea available throughout the day. Cookies served in the afternoon. Outdoor architecture is in keeping with that of Portsmouth, but the inside has a modern and updated feel. Staff was really friendly. Only complaint - our room was not made up well one morning, but I'm certain that would have been remedied had we called down to the front desk. Walking distance to everything in the waterfront/downtown area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jenkgen
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Husband and I stayed at the Residence Inn Portsmouth Friday-Saturday and left exhausted. I cannot understand for the life of me why this hotel is rated #1 in Portsmouth. Is actual sleep no longer a required amenity?!

I need to preface my negative review by saying that the management/front desk customer service part of our stay was spot-on. They were responsive, efficient and friendly.

We had requested a higher floor but when we checked-in we were told that we would be staying on the 2nd floor, "end of the hall, quiet spot". 1st sign of trouble: heavy, automatic-closing doors that whacked shut loudly. Unless you took extra care to hold it the thing would thunder shut.

Room itself was great; clean, bright, nice colors, full kitchen (including dishes/pans/dishwasher and full-size fridge). Comfortable bed & pillows. Again, all the amenities were great and on-point.

But the NOISE; every time our upstairs neighbor walked it was like King Kong was stomping above. Enough so that pictures would vibrate on the walls. The paper-thin walls that is. We could hear people talking, Tv's, doors slamming... It felt like there was no insulation between floors at all. And we could tell it wasn't party people either, just regular people walking about.

We fell asleep way past 11pm on both night and were awoken just before 6am as well. Completely due to the shoddy construction and poor soundproofing. Front desk offered to try and find us a room on the 4th floor but by that time we figured it would be a problem throughout the hotel and we didn't want to move our stuff. And while they were understanding and tried to make us more comfortable, nothing short of tearing the building down & rebuilding could fix this problem.

I also want to add that we live in an apartment in a major city so we're used to ambient noise and are pretty tolerant people. We've never had such a noisy room, even in old B&B's or run-down motels. Horrible construction.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Corj
Chris M, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you Corj for your review of our hotel. I was happy to hear about our customer service being "spot on" as we take great pride in offering the highest level of service for our guests. The staff is committed to making everyone's stay enjoyable and relaxing during their time at the Residence Inn.
However, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had with the way the hotel was built. I completely understand how important it is to receive a good night sleep while away from home. Since your review was posted, the hotel has purchased a few Sound Therapy Machines for our guests who enjoy a little relaxation noise while they sleep. We hope this will help guests who are light sleepers and assist them in getting a full nights sleep while staying at the Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown.
Thank you again for posting your review. With your comments we are able to continually improve our hotel and offer the level of service everyone has come to expect.
Chris Moulton