Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Great Stay”
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

We just returned from an overnight stay at the Residence Inn in downtown Portsmouth. The reviews were right! The staff at this hotel is fantastic in every way. Sarah gave us a warm greeting and helped us get oriented. Matt poured great drinks in the Lobby Bar. Our room was spacious and well appointed. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Grantham,NH
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night, arriving in the early afternoon to enjoy downtown Portsmouth. Parking was conveniently located right across the street and we found the lobby and staff welcoming and helpful. The rooms were well-appointed and clean and the bedding was luxurious. You cannot ask for a better location if you're visiting Portsmouth, NH.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CMarshall
Long Island, NY
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here for a week as a family. The hotel was very clean and the breakfast was great. I cannot say enough about the staff. They were so nice, helpful and welcoming. We were sad to leave....we felt like we were leaving good friends.

• Stayed August 2012
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Came with our family of four small children. Stayed in one bedroom suite, it is clean, modern and completely updated. The rooms are small but totally do-able. It's NOT your typical Residence Inn, very very nice. Easily walkable to downtown (even for the little kids).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lori1378
Kaiserslautern
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here for two nights only to get over our jetlag on the way to Bar Harbor. We ended up being pleasantly surprised by both Portsmouth and this hotel. First, Portsmouth is great - we had no expectations and now we want to move there! The hotel is on the edge of downtown, easy walking distance to everything and easy access to the Interstate. Good facilities and a great salt-water pool - no chorine while not being annoyingly salty. Breakfast was decent for a mid-range hotel. What made the stay special was the staff...super friendly. When we bought a toy for our six year old which needed batteries, the manager called for the maintenance guy who gave us a pair of AA's. That kind of service buys loyalty. The only negative is that this hotel is pricey during summer weeends...we used points so it wasn't a issue for us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is a great new property located in a perfect location to explore Portsmouth, the NH Seacoast, and southern Maine. While the facilities are top notch it's the staff that really seals the deal. Traveling with a family of 5 (three kids under the age of 8) can be stressful at times, they made it easy. They greeted our kids each morning at breakfast and helped with getting us situated each morning as we navigated the well stocked breakfast options. They even helped us put together "road snacks" for our kids on the final morning before our 7am departure. Kudos to the staff!

• Stayed July 2012
Sayreville, New Jersey
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed at the Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfont from Aug 25-28th.

The hotel location and the setup did not dissapoint me. When I checked in I noticed how busy the area was, more than I expected and it concerned me a bit. I checked in and took the option to park the car with hotel for $12 a night (parking lot is right accross the street) when the person gave me the parking pass, she did mention to me we are unusually busy tonight because of a wedding taking place. She stated when you get into the parking lot, just park anywhere, we are aware of the busy situation. The problem was, I waited about 40 minutes behind 2 cars who could not get into parking lot because it was full and they refused to backup. I went back to the hotel and informed them of the situation, she told me to get to the gate and call the front desk and they will lift the gate, finally the 2 that was holding me up decided to backup and leave and I was able to find a spot.

Finally setteled into the room around 8 and went to dinner, came back around 11, and was amazed at the noise coming from room above (I usually always get a room on top floor as an Elite member but because of the wedding everything was booked) I called the front desk and they sent somoene to quite down the room above, but it was no help, they started again around 3 am. Me and my family did not get a good night sleep the first night.

2nd day, I noticed nail clipplings under the soffa, I wrote house keeping a note informing them when they make my room please make sure to vaccum. I came back in the evening and the clippings were still there, called the front desk and they came and cleaned it up.

The pool is very clean and well maintained. There is NO life guard on duty.

From this point on my stay was fabulous. The staff and the hotel is great. Except for the nail clipplings and the same chewed up gum next to elevator thru out my entire stay the hotel was clean and very well maintained

One thing to note, this is a pet friendly hotel, I was not aware of this.. I did hear barking dogs in the middle of the night but it was not that bad.

There are plenty of things to do within walking distance, I did not used my car once I checked in. Portsmouth is a very beautiful town with plenty of restaurants and shopping. The places I stronly reccomend you try are The Rusty Hammer, Portsmouth Brewery and Brazo. Most importantly do not miss Gilleys it is located right behind the hotel, I had no idea food celebreties like Adam Richman and others visited this spot till I sat down and had a conversation with other guests. It is a tiny trailer, but the best hot dogs and chilli burger I ever had. http://www.gilleyspmlunch.com/

Final verdict on my stay: Great Staff, Great location, Except for the 2 things I noticed with the gum and nail clipplings very clean hotel. I reccomend management be better prepared for unexpected rush of guestes. Breakfast is the usual Residence Inn offerings. What I did enjoy very much was the Monday evening open bar and snacks which were offered.. very well done.

Room Tip: Get a corner suite if possible.