Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Top choice”
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Seemed newly updated. Big rooms with kitchen. Perfect location. Possible to get a good deal on the rate. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank RobR947

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was my second stay at a Marriott Residence Inn (the other in Denver) and this hotel was even nicer.

I went with a group of girlfriends to the hotel and we had a great time. One night we were in a corner suite and the next we had a second room since some people only came up for the second night.

The corner room was much bigger and had a larger kitchen area with island. The standard room just had a kitchenette nook.

Check in was quick and the front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating during our stay.

The kitchen had a dishwasher and refrigerator and burner. it was stocked with coffee, tea, silverware, paper towels, plates, glasses, soap, can opener, wine glasses etc. We were in a group and they quickly brought up more wine glasses.

There is also a living area with tv and a pullout couch. The bedroom had a king bed. There was plenty of closet space.

The bathroom had double thanks, a glass shower, and high end toiletries.

I had the short straw so had to sleep on a cot one night and the pullout the other. I've yet to sleep on a comfortable pullout and this one was no different. However the cot was, without exaggeration, the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on. if I had pulled up the sheets I wouldn't be surprised if it was a granite slab. Since it was a short stay it wasn't a big deal but if you are in a larger group you should take turns in who gets the cot.
The hotel also provided a breakfast buffet which was more than adequate. There were bagels, waffles, cereal, yogurt, eggs, bacon, etc. Nothing gourmet but it hit the spot.

Location of the hotel was great. There is a municipal lot for parking $.75 an hour and you are in close walking distance to plenty of shops and restaurants.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We always try to stay here when the rates are right. As Gold member got a room upgrade. Manager Jeri was extremely helpful! Highly recommend staying here for visiting the downtown area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IrishFan-80
South Portland, Maine
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We recently sent one night at this hotel. We found the rooms to be spacious and had all the trappings of home. The room had a kitchen area with a full sized fridge. The location is nice for the Portsmouth Olde Port area, which is full of all kinds of food and shops all within walking distance. They have a saltwater pool but we did not use it. There are no ice machines on the floors so if you know you need ice turn it on in the freezer in your room.

The staff was great and very friendly. I would stay here again if in Portsmouth.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PackerBacker7
Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My wife and I, along with friends (a family of four) spent Patriots Day weekend in Portsmouth. We arrived at 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning and the nice young lady at the desk informed us that our one-bedroom suites would not be ready until 1:00 p.m. Since check-in was not supposed to be until 3:00 p.m., we happily went to town to enjoy the usually warm weather.

Portsmouth is a great town. We enjoy being there more than Newport, RI. The hotel is walking distance to a hundred shops and restaurants. As I stated in earlier reviews, the Kittery Outlet Shops are only a couple of miles north of Portsmouth. Unfortunately , the closest bridge is being replaced and the drive may be 4 or 5 miles. My wife made two trips to shop for the grandkids while I hung around downtown. Both days we listened to an outdoor band/singer performing at an outdoor bar & restaurant about 200 yards from the hotel.

Our friends went swimming three times with their young girls in the indoor (salt water) pool. The guys went to Poco's on Bow Street to watch the Bruins/Caps game. Awesome nacho's and great drinks at the inside bar. The outdoor patio and bar were totally full.

We had lunch at BG's Boathouse. It's a couple of miles outside town towards Wentworth by the Sea. The seafood was excellent. Great fish sandwiches and onion rings. The outdoor patio is big and right on the bay.

We had dinner at Warren's Lobster House. Outstanding haddock stuffed with lobster. We also ate at The Old Ferry Landing. The mussels were about the best we'd ever had.

We had breakfast at the hotel which had a very nice selection of eggs/bacon/potatoes/waffles/fruit/pastry, etc. But we had to walk to Popovers for a hot popover and seat outside in the sun to read the Sunday paper.

The hotel was great. We ordered a Pack 'n Play which was waiting in our room. The feather free pillows were on the beds. Having a micro/ fridge and full kitchen was convenient. The staff was very helpful and always greeted us when coming or going. They even had a plate of giant cookies in the lobby in the afternoons. The hotel opened in 2010 so everything still feels new.

Parking was difficult on Saturday, due to a wedding and the great weather. We had to pay at a meter and a local garage ($.75/ hour) around the corner. Sunday there was plenty of room in the lot.

The room bills were exactly correct and checkout was a breeze.

We'll be back in the Fall.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kevbat
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed here for my high school reunion and it was great. Big rooms with great views of Portsmouth, one of my favorite towns in New England! Highly recommend this place. Also very central location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank angelambudd
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed here March 8, 9, 2012 . & June 2011 .I'm from NH but moved away after highschool & come back generally twice a year. In june 3 of us stayed in the Corner suite , Very beautiful decorated but the bed was awful , very very Hard , as well as sofa bed but sofa beds I can understand not being top notch but Marriott beds are known for the 5 star quality beds . We complained to the management & they did accomadate & bought matress Pads & foam pillows as the pillows were horrible& took 50- off the bill, so we were satisfied but we still didnt get a desent night sleep.. As for this March 2012 visit , I came alone , I immeditley checked the bed & was sadly dissapointed & contact fron desk as they remember me from june's visit , they apologized to me but said unfortunley the matress pads that they have are all being used. I was upset as I wanted to stay so I could get my marriott reward points. The front desk stated to me that this particular Marriott is ran by a managment firm & that 60% of people do complain about these beds & nothing has been done & she was soo very sorry. The first night I only slept a few hours & was up like 5am , Next night a tad better , I wouldnt recommened this hotel if you are particular about a bed , Also Noisy but nothing I couldnt handle ..

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Michelle L
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you for returning to the Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown this March after your satisfactory experience in June of 2011. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experience with regards to the bed. We did take 15% off both of your nights in an effort to compensate your for the trouble. I hope you understand the firmness or softness of a bed is very much an individual preference and the vast majority of our guest very much enjoy our beds and find them quite comfortable. I am not sure where you heard that 60% of our guests complain about them as nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, we very rarely have guest complaints about the beds and many guests inquire what kind of beds they are because they want to look in to getting one for their homes. I wish that you had put a request on your reservation or notified us you were coming to stay with us again and we would have definitely taken care of it for you knowing that the beds did not match your preference the last time you were here in June. If you are ever returning to the area, please feel free to contact me directly and I will arrange everything personally and ensure that we have a mattress topper put in your room prior to arrival. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve guest experience. We will be looking in to getting a few more mattress pads or feather beds to ensure we can match everyone’s preferences. Thanks again for staying.

Best Regards,