“It Was Okay”

MoJo's BBQ Shack
Ranked #79 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Nashville, Tennessee
“It Was Okay”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I only went here to accompany someone who really wanted to go. I have to confess, I didn't like it very much. I didn't want any barbecue but I was able to fill up on other things that were okay- onion rings, a large tossed green salad that was pretty good with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cukes, red onions and croutons, and some sides like dirty rice, sweet and spicy cole slaw, corn, and cornbread. I didn't actually finish anything except the salad, rice, and cornbread. In the future, I do not plan to return.

• Visited March 2013

Salem, Massachusetts
“No ribbing, it's good.”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This restaurant is no shack- it's large with a good size bar (about 20 stools), fairly loud
(5 or so big screen tvs), and comfortable tables (20 or so). The menu consists of salads, desserts, burgers, chicken dishes, and or course, St. Louis style ribs with their sides. i got a 1/2 rack ( $13)
with 2 sides- dirty rice and cole slaw- all very good. My friend got a pulled pork sandwich ($10) with his 2 sides- slightly spicy collard greens and beans- all declared good. The sandwich and sides were moderate in size- certainly NOT a lot. The ribs had good flavor and easy to handle- not dripping in sauce and fairly good in size. This 3 year old eatery exists down a creepy side street in a plaza with plenty of parking. It has an entrance that would be easy for a wheelchair to handle. Beers on-tap are Guiness, Harpoon and the domestic stuff. I was told by Laura, my very friendly and helpful waitress, that Thursday is Wings Night and draws a good crowd and they are hopeful for outside seating for the summer to get tourists business during those months. I enjoyed Mojos but I would definately need another side dish and a good dessert to feel really full. www.mojosbbqshack.com (603-436-6656) Try it have fun.

• Visited March 2013
Moncton, Canada
“Loved It!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I ate here several years ago - sorry, just getting around to reviewing it now. We were both very impressed and did not leave hungry. Great food, service, decor, atmosphere. Just surprised that there aren't more reviews; for a place as well-liked as this, I would think it would be more popular.

• Visited September 2012
Ontario, Canada
“Good BBQ & Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We were planning where we were going to eat during our weekend trip to the area and having read the TA reviews about Mojo's BBQ Grill & Tavern made this our first nights' spot. No problem getting to it as our hotel had a shuttle van that took us to the door. Their address is on Brewery Lane but the entrance is just around the corner of the building where the parking lot is, not a problem.

When we walked in I was impressed by it's 'old building' rustic decor with background blues style music playing, subdued lighting and its' not large interior space. The bar area is near to where the entrance is and even though the locals sitting at the bar were not loud at all we asked for a table away from it and were given a window table at the back where Brewery Lane is and although it was dark outside at 7:00PM I could look out and see the Lane and the other old brick factory building across from where we were, great.

Our server Brittany was very friendly and took good care of us throughout our meal, and as for that, my wife and I shared the Full Rack Ribs with two sides and I ordered a third side (of coleslaw) just for good measure. The ribs were delicious as were the BBQ beans, no complaints whatsoever.

Our shared meal with the extra side and a 25oz draught beer came to $34.82 with tax which was well worth it. Next time we return to this area this place is definately on the "must do" list, no question.

• Visited November 2012
Boston, MA
“Fun place to eat!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Arrived at 7:30 on a Saturday night, no wait, which was great. Tough to find with the road construction. Funky decor, great music playing at just the right volume. Our server, Betsy was FANTASTIC! She explained the specials, and gave her recommendations of the menu items. She checked on us throughout the meal, and we never had to go searching for her. We could tell she really enjoys working there.

We both ordered the white wine sangria, my hubby thought it was too sweet but I really liked it. I got the 1/3 rack of ribs with the steak tips added on, cooked medium, and the corn and collard greens. He got the 1/2 rack with baked beans and dirty rice.

The ribs were good, but there was a lot of gristle, and they were not as fall off the bone tender as they could have been. I added extra BBQ sauce which helped. The corn and collard greens were good, could have been hotter. The baked beans and dirty rice were good, also could have been hotter.

All in all, we would go back and try the pulled pork and/or the chicken. Loved the atmosphere, the giant tvs with college football were awesome.

Private lot parking behind the restaurant is a big plus as we had spent a different evening searching for parking closer to down town to go to another Portsmouth restaurant.

Good food, good drinks, reasonably priced, fun atmosphere. Can't ask for more!

Visited September 2012