“Always great”

The River House Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The River House is located along the scenic Piscataqua River. We offer indoor seating and a variety of outdoor seating including a cocktail deck, all with excellent views of Portsmouth's busy waterway. Our menu includes of a variety of classic dishes from land and sea including our award winning seafood chowder. Our scenic views, friendly service and local cuisine are a "Cant Miss" for Portsmouth, NH.
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I've been to The River House multiple times and its always great! However last time we chose to sit in the dining room and ended up with a bunch of loud high schooler's. I would suggest sitting outside or on the balcony if you go. The seafood chowder is homemade and to die for! Be careful though it's very filling! The gorgonzola muscles are another one of my favorites.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

My sisters and I ate at the River House for the first time in June 2013 while on vacation. We had the lobster roll, seafood chowder and chips. The meal was wonderful. We sat on the balcony and enjoyed a wonderful view while eating wonderful seafood. In June 2014 my sisters and I visited Portland, Maine and every restaurant boasts their lobster roll is the best. Well we had a number of lobster rolls and seafood chowder and none compared to the River House. Well we decided to drive back to Portsmouth, NH just to enjoy dinner at the River House. Once again we had a great lobster roll and seafood chowder. We were not disappointed. If you are anywhere in the area, I highly recommend truly enjoying the best seafood and view at the River House.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Our hotel recommended this place and it did not disappoint. We got there right before they were closing but they did not rush us what so ever (which was nice!) We had a great view on the deck. We ordered the lobster artichoke dip YUM! Then had a cup of seafood chowder and 1/2 of turkey panini - it was delicious!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

When my cousin and I learned that The Common Man had decided not to renew their lease in Portsmouth, we needed to find another location for our annual get-together. We chose the River House after reviewing the menu. We had our dinner there this evening, on a Sunday afternoon in June with absolutely gorgeous weather.

We met at 5:00 pm in an effort to beat the crowds. It's a good thing we wanted to eat indoors because there was already a 20-minute wait for the patio and the upstairs bar is somewhat small. It would not have been the most comfortable spot for a party of four to consume before-dinner drinks while waiting for a table. (There is an area downstairs with high tables, but we opted not to venture down.) There was no wait for the dining room. In fact, at 5:00 pm, it was empty and we got the premier table, by a large open window overlooking the patio and harbor.

We were instantly greeted by our server, Tony, who did an outstanding job of taking care of our party for an hour and a half. Although the menu is predominantly seafood, my cousin and I both chose the 14 Hands Merlot (which we thoroughly enjoyed). My cousin's wife chose a chardonnay (and she ordered a second glass so I am assuming she was also pleased).

For dinner, I ordered the Pastrami Melt (with caramelized onions on a pretzel roll). My husband ordered the Caesar Salad with anchovies. My cousin asked to have the salmon prepared blackened Cajun style, and my cousin's wide ordered the Lobster BLT.

Although attractively presented and ample, I thought the food lacked flavor. My husband would have liked some chicken or steak tips on his salad, but at roughly $10 for any protein add-on, he decided to skip it. (The only chicken available is described as "chicken tenders," which I suspect come from a frozen-food bag.)

When my cousin's wife and I ordered our sandwiches, we were asked what side we wanted. We asked what was available, and our server mentioned regular fries and sweet potato fries. We didn't give Tony a chance to finish the list because we're both big fans of sweet potato fries. What we didn't learn until the bill arrived was that the sweet potato fries were considered an "upgrade," and cost an additional $2 per serving. I find this practice of offering food under the pretense that all offerings are included in the meal price (unless, of course, one asks, I suppose) deceptive and cheap on the part of the restaurant management.

We decided to try an unusual dessert consisting of blueberries, goat cheese, and almonds in the form of a pie (more like a tart). Again, it was OK, but I was expecting more of a tang. The coffee (which was freshly brewed) was fabulous (although, at $2.95 a cup, a hair on the pricey side, like everything else at this restaurant).

In summary, it's a nice atmosphere, our server Tony was very good, the food is passable but rather expensive considering what it is. (This is not Surf, after all. They describe their cuisine as "unfussy," and that's certainly accurate.)

Reviewed June 8, 2014

It was great sitting waterside on a glorious summer evening.

Got seated quicker than expected by a helpful greeter and soon we were in the capable hands of an efficient server.

We tried steamed lobster with asparagus and pilau rice - this combo was judged as excellent, especially the wonderfully fresh lobster. A Thai salad with grilled chicken was rather ordinary by comparison, but just passed muster. Less of the sweet chilli sauce and more lime/ginger/lemongrass might have given a more authentic flavour

All in all the a slightly generous Very Good