“Hands down best seafood chowder!”

The River House Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The River House is located along the scenic Piscataqua River. We offer indoor seating and a variety of outdoor seating including a cocktail deck, all with excellent views of Portsmouth's busy waterway. Our menu includes of a variety of classic dishes from land and sea including our award winning seafood chowder. Our scenic views, friendly service and local cuisine are a "Cant Miss" for Portsmouth, NH.
New York
“Hands down best seafood chowder!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

If you come here you must have the seafood chowder. Came here again after last year and it was amazing as the first time I had it. Also had the Sheppard's pie but it was just so-so. But back to the chowder, it was ranked best chowder in the area or something like that, and I agree!

Portland, Maine
“Terrific Dining Experience”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

A friend and I went for a very late lunch here, our first time, during our stay in Portsmouth. I had seen an advertisement about the award-winning seafood chowder they serve, and wanted to check it out. We arrived on a weekday afternoon and were promptly seated at a nice table with water views on the porch, overlooking the Piscataqua River. We noticed seals occasionally bobbing their heads in the swift current, so that was an extra fun treat. Our friendly waitress soon after took our order after giving us a little time to peruse the menu. We each ordered two cocktails during our meal: a lemon drop; a white Russian with pumpkin liqueur; an espresso martini; a caramel appletini: all were delicious. For food we started with a shared baby spinach salad with creamy avocado dressing, which had carrots, boiled egg slices, bacon bits, mushrooms, grape tomatoes.... and it was really wonderful. Then we each ordered from the specials menu the fried clam boat with French fries and cup of seafood chowder. The chowder was good: a bit salty and probably not "award winning" in my book, but certainly good. The clams were excellent, however, and the 5 oz. was just the right amount- served up with a good tartar sauce. We never felt rushed during our meal, and really enjoyed our experience overall, leaving there very satisfied, and feeling like the prices were reasonable. We would definitely return on a subsequent visit to this nice restaurant with a pleasant ambiance in this great little city.

• Visited December 2013
Dover, New Hampshire
“Truly the best seafood chowder”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was my first visit to this restaurant. Had an exceptional lunch with a friend. The seafood chowder was so delicious that we both took a bowl of it home for our husbands. I also had the lobster roll, which was very good. The service was friendly and efficient. We will definitely go back.

Slingerlands, New York
“Great location, great food, great beer!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stopped her for dinner on a Friday. Great service even though quite busy.
Nice view of the River even though we were a couple of tables away from the windows.
Great food! tons of lobster - tons of lobster -so much I took a picture of it.
Husband got the lazy man's lobster and it was great!
Definitely would go again.

• Visited November 2013
“Great view, great service, good food!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

The River House in Portsmouth was exactly what my husband and I were looking for yesterday. It is right on the river with a gorgeous view of the bridge and the port. They have a deck (enclosed and heated in the cooler weather), and the tables on the deck are nicely spaced. Sometimes restaurants crowd as many tables as they can and you feel like you are on top of each other, not here. The hostess and waitstaff were very nice, made sure my food allergies were noted, and never rushed us despite a wait for the deck. The food was good, it wasn't great but it was good. My coca cola pulled pork was very good, it was my husband's Caesar salad with steak tips that wasn't as good. We both agreed their French fries and sweet potato fries were yummy! I love fries, but am picky about them. Obviously I'm not a "foodie", but I like really good down to earth food. We would absolutely go back, and that says a lot. If you are in Portsmouth and you are looking for a nice lunch and a FABULOUS water view, I would definitely check it out.