“Nice view and atmosphere”

The River House Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 210 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The River House is located along the scenic Piscataqua River. We offer indoor seating and a variety of outdoor seating including a cocktail deck, all with excellent views of Portsmouth's busy waterway. Our menu includes of a variety of classic dishes from land and sea including our award winning seafood chowder. Our scenic views, friendly service and local cuisine are a "Cant Miss" for Portsmouth, NH.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We ate a light dinner in the balcony. The view is lovely , the bay and ocean view , although it was late evening.
The service and waiter very quick and efficient.
Good food , all the plates were very tasty. I ate the mini lobster roll dish, which includes also a green salad and clam chouder, recommended.
The only thing that bothered me was the furniture - tables and chairs were dated - old fashion.
It's time to renovate.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at the River House on Wednesday, October 2, 2013 out on the deck. The river views are the best in Portsmouth! And the Seafood Chowder, oh my gosh, a real WOW! They say they've won awards for it, and I always take that with a huge grain of sea salt! But this time, WOW, if you like or love New England Chowders, then you have to put at least a Cup of River House's Seafood Chowder on your To Do List in Portsmouth!

I also had the Hot Pastrami Sandwich on pretzel roll. It was massive, and delicious! The Honey Mustard sauce that came with it was outstanding.

My wife had a Soup of the Day, which was Potato Leek. She loved it! It was brothy, not creamy, and had lots of bacon to go with the potatoes and leeks.

She also had the Beet Salad. She's a huge roasted beets fan, and came away raving!

So from us, the River House gets Two Big Thumbs Up!

1  Thank mikie376
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This a very average restaurant with a nice deck, we struggled to find something on the menu as we really wanted a lobster dinner ,service was pleasant but slow ,prices reflect the location not the food.
We had a main, dessert,2 cocktails and three glasses of wine $150 with tip for two people . I am afraid the feeling that everything was going through the motions prevailed , not a return on my list, as usual the tip is make sure you read Trip Advisor first and this recommendation made in good faith by the hotel would have been bypassed.This place is not bad ,just not special for an out of town visitor

Reviewed September 26, 2013

So a bit of it all, nice view, ok food and poor service. I think you can find better places to spend your money along bow street.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Had a few minutes to walk over to The River House for a bowl of its famous seafood chowder. It was excellent. Not sure of all ingredients, but I know it had clams, fish (haddock?), lobster, and shrimp.