“The big Lobster roll is all you need”

The River House Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The River House is located along the scenic Piscataqua River. We offer indoor seating and a variety of outdoor seating including a cocktail deck, all with excellent views of Portsmouth's busy waterway. Our menu includes of a variety of classic dishes from land and sea including our award winning seafood chowder. Our scenic views, friendly service and local cuisine are a "Cant Miss" for Portsmouth, NH.
Burlington, New Jersey
“The big Lobster roll is all you need”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Although a little steep at $25, the Lobster roll is exceptional, with a cup of delcious seafood chowder. The views of the river and across into Maine are breathtaking at sundown. Highly recommended

Visited June 2013

Stafford, Virginia
“Really, really good!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great service, great food, wonderful atmosphere. I went here in June '13 with my wife, Mom, and her husband and we all had a great experience.

Like other reviewers have said the back porch is the recommended spot - it is really nice to have a view of the harbor and tug boats while you eat and chat.

The service was great - very attentive, and our meals were awesome! I ordered the Cup and a Half - the seafood chowder is probably the best I've had in a restaurant. Thick enough, yet not a 'gravy' consistency. The Thai salad was another hit as well as the River House Spinach Salad.

Lots of variety in both food items and patronage. We stopped in while visiting Portsmouth for a day but there were also some business folks the next table over and some college kid types who came in for a drink.

I think you'll really like the River House!

Tennessee
“Perfect location and great food!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was a wonderful experience! The view from the back porch was unbeatable, the breeze was perfect, and the food did not disappoint! I had the swordfish with chef's vegetables and asparagus, along with a glass of wine. Everything was prepared perfectly. The only downside is that service was slow, but since the night was perfect, no one in my party seemed to mind!

Westport, Ma
“Awesome chowder”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Our first visit to this restaurant and am so happy we picked it! The best seafood chowder ever. Two size lobster rolls for you to choose from. Perfect! Will definitely travel here again.

Cape Coral, Florida
“Best Seafood Chowder With a Great View”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

It was a drizzling all day in Portsmouth and after a long walk in the rain we went into the The River House looking for a dry place and something warm to eat. Both my friend and I had a seafood chowder and joked about the fact that the menu said it was "the best seafood chowder in New England". I have to admit that I am a big seafood chowder fan but had never been in New England and my first New England seafood chowder at the River House was excellent and certainly the best I have ever had (still have to go to every other restaurant in NE to find out if it is the best). The seafood was fresh, the chowder was creamy, had lots of seafood and it was seasoned just right giving it the perfect flavor. We ate while enjoying a wonderful view of the Piscataqua River and I loved the fact that they had a covered balcony area that made you feel like you where eating outdoors but sheltered us from the cold rain outside.
The waitstaff was friendly and upbeat and the service was quick.

• Visited May 2013