“Just a Common Restaurant”
Review of The Common Man - CLOSED

The Common Man
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Serving the same American fare with New England flair as our other Common Man locations, but with an added selection of fresh seafood dishes to honor our new seacoast home. You'll also find traditional C-MAN favorites such as our Baked Macaroni and Cheese, award-winning Crab Cakes, Uncommon Salad, New England Pot Roast, Country Meatloaf, and our delicious White Chocolate Bread Pudding for dessert. Serving dinner nightly.
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The Common Man was, well, just common. There were many really good things and many not-so-good things that made this restaurant average. On the really good side, my wife ordered a special, steak au poivre, and it was fabulous. Seasoned and slightly crispy on the outside, but hot, tender, and juicy on the inside, it was well worth the $21 price and one of the best steaks she’s ever eaten out. On the flip side, my $24 cut of 16 ounce prime rib was served with everything that could be wrong with prime rib but you hope it won’t. It was cold, dry, and tough. And, it was served with a mere thimble of warm au jus sauce. Truly, one of the worst cuts of prime rib I’ve ever eaten out. The contrast of the two meals was remarkable. My daughter ordered off of the kids menu and enjoyed her pasta, but the portions were small. We had walked in off the street around 5 on a steamy hot day, and I was disappointed to be served flat sodas in what appeared to be no more than a 10 ounce glass. We were never offered refills of soda over the course of our meal, but fortunately the water was replenished often. The service as a whole was generally slow, and while not bad, didn’t stand out as hospitable. A couple of Common Man trademarks certainly did bolster the quality of the meal. There are unlimited crackers and two tasty spreads to snack on before your meal and the fresh, hot bread basket is as fresh and scrumptious as you’ll ever get at a restaurant. The white chocolate chunks that are served with your bill are unique and delicious. Overall, we thought the Common Man did well with some things, missed badly on a couple of others, and the result was a common restaurant.

2  Thank nhjimmyd

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 4, 2010

extraordinarily delicious food served by a happy and energetic staff. the lobster mac and cheese is a lot of fun but the meatloaf is truly a stand out dish.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We have been to several Common Man restaurants (including the original), and we really love the philosophy of the Common Man family (check out their website). I would love to love this place, but there are some things that are very good and other things which need great improvement: this equals average. The Portsmouth restaurant is in a great old building, but I would imagine during the summer months tourist traffic could be problematic; valet parking is available and, usually, the only choice. They don't take reservations, and there is usually a wait. The host and hostess were very friendly. Two tasty cheese spreads and crackers are available along with minimal seating and checker tables; it's too small a space to have so much happening in it. I also think they have put tables very close together to maximize space. Our server took awhile to get to our table but was very pleasant when she did arrive; unfortunately, she did not deliver the food, and we didn't see her again until half-way into our meal. The young man who delivered the food told us he had just started working (thus explaining his lack of attention to the extras on our order which were not delivered with the meal), but at least he fessed up and took the fall! We did not have appetizers, but we did order drinks which were delivered with a nice bread loaf. We were surprised when our entree order appeared within about five minutes of getting our drinks. My husband ordered the apple chicken (a menu item), and I ordered the prime rib which was delicious. The beef was cooked properly and seasoned nicely, but, sadly, none of the food was hot in spite of arriving so quickly. We should have returned it, and shame on us for not doing that. My main reason for not recommending this to friends is I believe there are many better restaurants in the Portsmouth area. If you are going to be in town for awhile, or live locally, eating here is probably worth a try as the menu is quite extensive and the atmosphere is pleasant (if you aren't too close to another table). I do not think this particular Common Man stands up to the ones in Meredith or Merrimack. (We were disappointed the nachos, available on the bar menu in the Merrimack location, are not on the menu in Portsmouth. They are fabulous, and we had hoped to have them.) Weds. night is 1/2 price on bottles of wine, and we love when they have their contests as it's fun to try new things. A few years ago, they had a dessert competition with local culinary schools, and I can still remember the amazing dessert I had even though it didn't win (homemade pumpkin ice cream with a ginger cookie!). How I would love for this place to be great!

Reviewed March 20, 2010

Recently went to Common Man with my folks in Mar 2010. We had an excellent meal with super friendly staff. My husband and dad had the scallops and said they were some of the best they've ever had. I had the pork tenderloin and it was also very good. The atmosphere was very laid back and homey. The Common Man is not a fancy, high end restaurant nor is the menu extensive, but if you want tasty food and service with a smile, this is the place for you!

Reviewed February 4, 2010

We've had a few of the specials and some awesome infused vodka martinis... All of the food was delicious (I recommend the Escargot!) We sat in the lounge and the bartender/waiter was great... he was very attentive, fast, friendly, made us laugh, suggested what we try.. everything was amazing.. Great food, Very chill atmosphere, friendly staff.. Can't wait to go back!

2  Thank boitrubl