“Back in time”

The Common Man
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Serving the same American fare with New England flair as our other Common Man locations, but with an added selection of fresh seafood dishes to honor our new seacoast home. You'll also find traditional C-MAN favorites such as our Baked Macaroni and Cheese, award-winning Crab Cakes, Uncommon Salad, New England Pot Roast, Country Meatloaf, and our delicious White Chocolate Bread Pudding for dessert. Serving dinner nightly.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The lights were dim, the fireplaces were roaring & the company was the best. We sat upstairs & had Kyle for a waiter. Kyle & the waitstaff were friendly, smiling & looked happy to be there. The food was delicious - Yankee favorites & some modern cuisine. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that is visiting or lives in southern NH.
Great experience! Great food! A must go back again & again.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Pleastly surprised, as a party of six we were pushed into a corner as large parties were expected that evening, so we were a little unsure of how the evening would progress. Service was great, salads were exeptional and main entrees were very good.Desserts were the shining star. Would return!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been to the Common Man in Portsmouth two times. The Common Man is located on the end of State Street, close to the Piscataqua River and Prescott Park. Parking is by valet, which is a solid benefit, as finding parking in the State Street area on a Friday or Saturday night, could otherwise mean parking 4 - 5 parks away.

The Common Man does have a nice, warm, welcoming atmosphere. It offers free crackers and cheese spread. There is a smallish, narrow bar downstairs. The beer selection, draught and bottled, is somewhat unimaginative.

I have always eaten upstairs at the Common Man, although I believe that there is downstairs seating. The Common Man is tastefully decorated, and its' servers are always pleasant. However, I find the entrees to be a bit pricey. I strongly disfavor a restaurant that prices its' entrees generally in the $15.99 to $19.99 range, yet do not offer a salad with an entree, and price a la carte salads from $4.99 to $7.99.

I have never had a bad meal at the Common Man in Portsmouth, but I never walked out thinking that I had a great one either. Portsmouth offers many dining alternatives, and unless you want to play it safe, you might want to dine elsewhere.

1  Thank jebblackfish
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Food is ok. No burger on the menu when we went. How can that be? A little over priced, but it is downtown Portsmouth

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Everyone of the Common Man's that I have visited has exceeded my expectations. This was no different