“Atmosphere, service and food is great”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Four Restaurant - CLOSED

Four Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Atmosphere, service and food is great”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I have eaten here twice for special occasions and both times we've had a great meal. The chefs do interesting things with local ingredients. I've had chicken dishes both times and my husband has had the steak and the salads could be meals alone. The waitstaff has always been friendly, knowledgeable and the vibe is very laid back for a somewhat fancy restaurant. My husband and I both love the dining space with the brick walls--a converted carriageway?- and look forward to trying the brunch and eating outside on their hidden patio. The bar looks inviting as a place to have a small meal too.

• Visited June 2013

West Hartford, Connecticut
“Awesome food and experience all around”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Delicious food; creative vibe and menu options; tasty steaks. Great service and loves the decor. Modern and peaceful. Loved this place from end to end. It is small so might be a short wait but well worth it.

• Visited October 2012
stratham
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Owner is ABSOLUTELY RUDE!!!!!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had bought a living social deal for a four course chef tasting. Everytime I called for an appointment they asked me if I had a living social deal. I said yes!!!! They than told me the only appointment time they had was 5 or 9:45pm. I called back 2 weeks later, again the same thing 5 or 9:30pm. I asked what openings they had next weekend? The same thing, I asked for 2-3 weeks out again the same thing. I asked why the 9:30pm and 9:45pm appointment times and was told there paying customers take precedent. I asked who I was talking to and he said BRIAN and was rather rude. I asked who the owner was and he said ..."ME". I asked why be rude and give me a hard time I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER. Living social deals arent free. I told him I was going to give him a bad review he said ...GO AHEAD AND SPELLED HIS NAME OUT FOR ME AND HUNG UP. I see other people gave it bad reviews and someone even called the owner a JERK!!!! That customer was 100% right. I called living social and complained and got a refund. I than checked out these reviews and called them back and they logged on to the site and read the reviews with me and laughed when they read the one about calling the owner a JERK. He said he would tell the senior management team and warn them from offering another deal from the restaurant and owner. I have a feeling the restaurant will not last long. Not with this owner anyway!!!!!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Mike D
New Hampshire
“Expected More”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had a Living Social voucher and we were eager to try Four. First two courses were good but the duck and mushrooms were way too salty. Service was very slow even though it was not busy.
We felt that we did not get the same attention as other tables, perhaps because of the voucher.?

• Visited April 2013
North Hampton, New Hampshire
“Very romantic, great food!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have lived in Portsmouth for awhile but never even knew where Four was located. They had a Groupon for their chef's tasting menu so we thought to give it a try. So glad we did! The restaurant is very small - maybe a dozen tables or so. There is exposed brick, dim-lighting, soft jazz playing - super cozy. There is a small bar and an exposed kitchen. They have a pre-fixe chefs tasting menu that changes daily (in addition to a regular menu). The service is a bit slow but we were in during the blizzard so I think they sent everyone home except one poor girl. The only downside to that is you are locked in to what they are serving. So, the day we went, we had to have what was on the pre-fixe menu even though I cannot abide by raw salmon. Even then, the selections were not anything I would have chosen for myself but they were fantastic! Roast duck with a cherry reduction, seafood stew with enormous mussels and scallops, and a thick chocolate mousse that was like brownie batter! I can't wait to go again and order whatever I want!

• Visited February 2013