“Nice sushi restaurant!”
Review of Shio

Shio
Ranked #57 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Nice sushi restaurant!”
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I really enjoyed my meal at Shio about a month ago (May 2010). I thought the service and staff was very nice and helpful. Their menu is a bit large, however I think they combine lunch and dinner into one menu, it just seems overwhelming and usually makes me question freshness of the food. There was no question everything I had was fresh.

My only complaint is that the ambiance of Shio absolutely screams "I AM IN A STRIP MALL!!!" Shio is in a strip mall and to be honest if I didn't research them before my trip through Portsmouth I would never have known they were there or any good.

Overall I would recommend them for a reasonably priced sushi or Japanese meal and the excellent quality of the food far outweighs their location and cold interior.

Portland, Maine
“Shio raises the bar”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Shio is the new Japanese restaurant in Portsmouth. It's the best looking restaurant and the sushi is good and reasonably priced. I'm happy with their two downtown competitors, but what Shio offers is better service, a new and spacious interior, and food that's maybe a little better and a little cheaper than what you can get downtown. And the parking's free so if you're driving to Portsmouth for Japanese food, you'll want to check this out. But if you're already downtown, you'll need to get the car.

Rhode Island
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Japanese resturant.”
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Amazing food, beautiful decor. I hated that i walked in with a jeans and hoodie on because it was just so pretty there. Decent prices for what you get as in quality and quantity of food. The sushi was superb!

Durham NH
“We love Shio”
Reviewed January 29, 2010

As another reviewer wrote - we used to travel to Moritomo's for sushi. Now we go to Shio - the best in the area. Cherry and Alvin are very personable and the food is great. They are now starting to get specials in such as local fish and Hawaiian fish - but only if it is the best fish they can get.
Also the kitchen items are excellent. No one we have brought there has been disappointed yet. So even if you don't like sushi there are plenty of choices for a great meal.

Boston
“clean, professional, fresh fish, Tuna was OK, rice Ok, red dye ginger, rice OK”
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Good place, but not a 5. The tuna that was served was probably albacore maybe yellow fin, not the more sought after blue fin or big eye. the standard lunch special did not include hamachi.

The rice was OK, the chefs were good, wish they had better rice, ginger, wasabi and tuna.