“Speciality hand made rolls were brilliant. ” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shio

Shio
Ranked #60 of 199 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Speciality hand made rolls were brilliant. ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

The special rolls were so nice compared to the normal sushi rolls which were OK. Service was not that great. The LahLah roll and the special K rolls were the best. The Waitress seemed to be in a bit of a hurry and unfriendly but We all enjoyed the food. Nice place for a big crowd.

New York City, New York
“Hands down, without a doubt, best sushi in a long time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was by far some of the best sushi I have ever had, and I've tried it all. It has plenty of seating options, from a regular table, to traditional Japanese style on-the-floor with low tables and pillows. It's a hidden gem in a shopping center, but well worth the trip. I will be back any time I'm back in Portsmouth!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Amherst, Massachusetts
“An Unfavorable Yakitori Review”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

First, we did not eat sushi here, and might try that another time. This review is only about the yakitori and other small plates, often called izakaya-style in Japan. Most of the food on Shio's menu is izakaya, or bar food. We started with edamame, and shrimp and vegetable tempura. The edamame were good. The tempura was tasty, but the vegetable pieces were large and the broccoli was burned and brown. I brought this to the attention of the server, and to the chef's credit, he admitted it was overcooked and delivered another piece. We then had 6 different yakitori, and half of them arrived cold at our table. Some had very sweet sauces, and the worst was the kawa (chicken skin) which was over seasoned and undercooked, almost raw. I returned the kawa and was not charged. The yakitori was not very good and prepared by cooks who have probably never eaten real Japanese style yakitori. We also had pan-fried pork gyoza (dumplings) which were okay. Our waiter was unfamiliar with the menu and admitted that he was new there. Everything came to our small table at once and made it difficult to find room for the plates. The waiter said we were ordering "appetizers" so everything came out at once. This is a basic misunderstanding of the food Shio is offering. No one in Japan calls this food "appetizers". This is a European concept of distinct types of courses. The owner of Shio is Malaysian, and there are no Japanese working in the restaurant, but that is no excuse for offering poor Japanese cuisine.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank merlinslap
tallahassee
“Agedashi tofu is WOW!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

Good selection of sushi and entrée options, but the yellowtail was tough. Tofu was best ever: light batter, silken tofu, and balanced broth with delicate touches of bonito and nori. Could eat this weekly if I lived nearby. Very nice staff as well.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
“Amazing Sushi! Fantastic service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

My Husband and I went here last night. I'll start off by saying that I am not a big fan of sushi, but my Husband loves it. I decided to take him here based on the reviews. I am so happy I made the choice to go to Shio. I had made reservations, and we arrived a little early, but they sat us right away. The place was very busy. The servers greeted us immediately. We ordered Sushi for two, so I could try new types if sushi. I had never really liked sushi, but after last night, I will definitely be back. Everything tasted so FRESH! I loved everything I tried. We were both very happy with what they chose for us. The only thing that I was a little confused about at Shio was that you don't have just one server there. All different servers come by and bring you things and check on you. Which was great because you never had to really wait for anything, but it is confusing because you don't know who to ask for something. Everyone was very nice, and overall the place is amazing, and I can't wait to go back for Sushi again. (never thought I'd ever say that!) Great job, SHIO! :)

• Visited March 2014