“Excellent food, excellent service, our go-to for sushi.”
Review of Shio

Shio
Ranked #55 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent food, excellent service, our go-to for sushi.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is our go-to sushi place on the Seacoast. I can only comment on the sushi -- we haven't ordered anything else -- but after at least a dozen dinners, Shio holds the crown. The sushi is fresh and consistent. The specials are amazing. I would recommend a reservation on busy nights, but the wait is usually under 30 minutes.

Visited October 2013

New Hampshire
“Really good sushi”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I went here for lunch on a Friday afternoon. The place was starting to get busy. They have really good lunch specials. I got 2 spicy tuna rolls and they were the best I have ever had. Better than Haru in Boston, which I thought to be very good. The tuna shashimi was amzing. I would have paid double for sushi this good. I had to ask for extra ginger. The service was great. I could see how this place would be very busy on weekends. It's in a plaza, so parking is free and easy. If you are thinking about checking this place, you should... You won't be let down.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“still the best japanese restaurant”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

For the last few years we visit Shio on a regular basis. Quality is always very consistent and high. Service is extremely friendly and helpfull. Shio just has the best fish in the region.

London, United Kingdom
“Sushi for 2”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

After hearing about Shio on New Hampshire Chronicle this summer I couldn’t wait to try it out. This past weekend was my first visit to Shio and I can assure you it wont be the last.

The restaurant was pretty busy when we got there (it was 6:30 on a Friday night, next time I would make reservations) but we were quickly helped and seated at the sushi bar. The sushi bar was actually pretty cool to sit and my boyfriend and I were both pretty interested in watching the various techniques to the sushi making process. We ordered the Sushi for 2 and it was excellent a nice assortment of 18 pieces of sushi and two rolls. I’m not sure what kind of rolls came with out plate but they were delicious. I would have eaten a plate full of just those.

The servers we very friendly and attentive. The restaurant had a really nice atmosphere. I will without a doubt go back and have already told some of my friends and family that they need to try it.

Hawaii
“Tempura was excellent”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were on a road trip and driving by the restaurant around 2 p.m. so we decided to check it out. It looked nice and clean so, ok, in we went. The service is excellent: very courteous and extremely attentive. My shrimp and vegetable tempura arrived and it was very good, crispy and light. The vegetables consisted of broccoli, carrot and zucchini. I did not taste the sushi which looked very colorful and fresh, but my family liked what they ordered. The price range seemed very reasonable. Parking is easy because it's in a mall. Easy access for disabled people. Bathroom spotless.

• Visited August 2013